AICAR (Acadesine/AICA riboside) (ab120358)
- Product nameAICAR (Acadesine/AICA riboside)
- DescriptionCell-permeable activator of AMP-activated protein kinase
- AICA riboside
- Biological descriptionCell-permeable activator of AMP-activated protein kinase. Is taken up into cells by adenosine transporters and phosphorylated by adenosine kinase to the active nucleotide ZMP (5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribonucleoside), which mimics effects of AMP on the AMPK system. Active in vivo and in vitro.
- Purity> 98%
- Chemical name5-Amino-1-[(2R,3S,4R,5R)-tetrahydro-3,4-dihydroxy-5-(hydroxymethyl)furan-2-yl]-1H-imidazole-4-carboxamide
- Molecular Weight258.23
- Chemical structure
- Molecular formulaC9H14N4O5
- CAS Number2627-69-2
- PubChem identifier17513
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C (desiccating conditions).
- Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 50 mM and in DMSO to 100 mM (with heating)
Providing storage is as stated on the product vial and the vial is kept tightly sealed, the product can be stored for up to 6 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120358 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||FuncS: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
AICAR (Acadesine/AICA riboside) images
ab39400 staining AMPKα 1 + AMPKα 2 (phospho S485 + S491) in HepG2 cells treated with AICAR (ab120358), by ICC/IF. Increase in AMPKα 1 + AMPKα 2 (phospho S485 + S491) expression correlates with increased concentration of AICAR, as described in literature.
The cells were incubated at 37°C for 1h in media containing different concentrations of ab120358 (AICAR) in DMSO, fixed with 4% formaldehyde for 10 minutes at room temperature and blocked with PBS containing 10% goat serum, 0.3 M glycine, 1% BSA and 0.1% tween for 2h at room temperature. Staining of the treated cells with ab39400 (5 µg/ml) was performed overnight at 4°C in PBS containing 1% BSA and 0.1% tween. A DyLight 488 goat anti-rabbit polyclonal antibody (ab96899) at 1/250 dilution was used as the secondary antibody. Nuclei were counterstained with DAPI and are shown in blue.
References for AICAR (Acadesine/AICA riboside) (ab120358)
This product has been referenced in:
- Guigas B et al. Beyond AICA riboside: in search of new specific AMP-activated protein kinase activators. IUBMB Life 61:18-26 (2009). Read more (PubMed: 18798311) »
- Towler MC & Hardie DG AMP-activated protein kinase in metabolic control and insulin signaling. Circ Res 100:328-41 (2007). Read more (PubMed: 17307971) »
- Gadalla AE et al. AICA riboside both activates AMP-activated protein kinase and competes with adenosine for the nucleoside transporter in the CA1 region of the rat hippocampus. J Neurochem 88:1272-82 (2004). Read more (PubMed: 15009683) »