Ascorbic Acid Assay Kit (Biological Samples) (ab65656)
- Product nameAscorbic Acid Assay Kit (Biological Samples)See all Ascorbic acid kits ...
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell culture media
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Sensitivity> 0.2 nmol/well
- Range0.2 nmol/well - 20 nmol/well
- Assay time0h 30m
- Product overview
Abcam's Ascorbic Acid Assay Kit (Biological Samples) provides a rapid, simple, and sensitive means of detecting ascorbic acid in biological samples such as serum and other body fluids, tissue and cell extracts, growth media and food products. In this assay, Fe3+ is reduced to Fe2+ by any antioxidants present. The ferrous iron is chelated with a colorimetric probe to produce a product with a strong absorbance band which can be monitored between 545-600 nm. The addition of ascorbate oxidase to parallel samples removes any ascorbate present leaving a background value which is subtracted from the total to give ascorbate content. The assay can detect 0.2 to 20 nmol of ascorbic acid in various samples.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Suitable for biological samples
Range: 0.2 to 20 nmol of ascorbic acid
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) plays an important role in many biological processes. It is a potent anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral agent and an immune stimulant and is present in a wide variety of biological specimens. Due to the presence of a variety of other antioxidants in biological samples such as serum, most ascorbic acid assays show strong interference.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Ascorbate Oxidase (lyophilized) 1 vial Ascorbic Acid Probe 1 x 1ml Ascorbic Acid Standard (Lyophilised) 1 vial FeCl3 solution 1 x 1ml Ferric Reducing Ascorbate Buffer 1 x 25ml
- Research Areas
- RelevanceAscorbic Acid (C6H8O6) is an essential nutrient in human diets, and is necessary to maintain connective tissue and bone. The biologically active form of ascorbic acid is vitamic C, a water soluble vitamin which is the L-enantiomer form of ascorbic acid. Humans have lost the ability to synthesize ascorbic acid and must obtain in the diet. Ascorbic acid is an electron donor for enzymes involved in collagen hydroxylation, biosynthesis of carnitine and norepinephrine, tyrosine metabolism and amidatin of peptide hormones. The ability of vitamin C to donate electrons also makes it a potent water-soluble anti-oxidant that readily scavenges free radicals.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab65656 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
References for Ascorbic Acid Assay Kit (Biological Samples) (ab65656)
This product has been referenced in:
- Blaschke K et al. Vitamin C induces Tet-dependent DNA demethylation and a blastocyst-like state in ES cells. Nature 500:222-6 (2013). Read more (PubMed: 23812591) »
- Dai D et al. Healing of saccular aneurysms following platinum coil embolization: lack of improved efficacy with vitamin C supplementation. J Neurointerv Surg N/A:N/A (2012). Functional Studies ; Rabbit . Read more (PubMed: 22914744) »