- Product nameCaffeine
- DescriptionPDE inhibitor. Adenosine antagonist
- Biological descriptionPsychostimulant. Adenosine A1 and A2A receptor antagonist. Involved in the mobilization of intracellular calcium and the inhibition of cAMP phosphodiesterases.
- Purity> 99%
- Chemical name1,3,7-Trimethylxanthine
- Molecular Weight194.19
- Chemical structure
- Molecular formulaC8H10N4O2
- CAS Number58-08-2
- PubChem identifier2519
- Storage instructionsStore at room temperature.
- Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 100 mM
Providing storage is as stated on the product vial and the vial is kept tightly sealed, the product can be stored for up to 6 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
References for Caffeine (ab120240)
This product has been referenced in:
- Ferré S An update on the mechanisms of the psychostimulant effects of caffeine. J Neurochem 105:1067-79 (2008). Read more (PubMed: 18088379) »
- Antoniou K et al. A detailed behavioral analysis of the acute motor effects of caffeine in the rat: involvement of adenosine A1 and A2A receptors. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 183:154-62 (2005). Read more (PubMed: 16205915) »
- Nehlig A et al. Caffeine and the central nervous system: mechanisms of action, biochemical, metabolic and psychostimulant effects. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 17:139-70 (0). Read more (PubMed: 1356551) »