Caspase 3 Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab39383)
- Product nameCaspase 3 Assay Kit (Fluorometric)See all Caspase 3 kits ...
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeTissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
- Assay typeEnzyme activity
- Assay time2h 00m
- Product overview
Abcam's Caspase 3 Assay Kit (Fluorometric) provides a simple and convenient means for assaying the DEVD-dependent caspase activity. The assay is based on detection of cleavage of substrate DEVD-AFC (AFC: 7-amino-4-trifluoromethyl coumarin). DEVD-AFC emits blue light (?max = 400 nm); upon cleavage of the substrate by CPP32 or related caspases, free AFC emits a yellow-green fluorescence (?max = 505 nm), which can be quantified using a fluorometer or a fluorescence microtiter plate reader. Comparison of the fluorescence of AFC from an apoptotic sample with an uninduced control allows determination of the fold increase in caspase-3/CPP32 activity.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Activation of ICE-family proteases/caspases initiates apoptosis or other cellular processes in mammalian cells.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2X Reaction Buffer 4 x 2ml Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 100ml DEVD AFC 1 x 500µl DTT Green 1 x 400µl
- RelevanceThe caspase family of cysteine proteases play a key role in apoptosis. Caspase 3 (also known as CPP32, YAMA and apopain) is the most extensively studied apoptotic protein among caspase family members. Caspase 3 is synthesized as an inactive pro enzyme that is processed in cells undergoing apoptosis by self proteolysis and/or cleavage by other upstream proteases (e.g. Caspases 8, 9 and 10). The processed form of Caspase 3 consists of large (17kD) and small (12kD) subunits which associate to form an active enzyme. Caspase 3 is cleaved at Asp28 - Ser29 and Asp175 - Ser176. The active Caspase 3 proteolytically cleaves and activates other caspases (e.g. Caspases 6, 7 and 9), as well as relevant targets in the cells (e.g. PARP and DFF). Alternative splicing of this gene results in two transcript variants which encode the same protein. In immunohistochemical studies Caspase 3 expression has been shown to be widespread but not present in all cell types (e.g. commonly reported in epithelial cells of skin, renal proximal tubules and collecting ducts). Differences in the level of Caspase 3 have been reported in cells of short lived nature (eg germinal centre B cells) and those that are long lived (eg mantle zone B cells). Caspase 3 is the predominant caspase involved in the cleavage of amyloid beta 4A precursor protein, which is associated with neuronal death in Alzheimer's disease.
- Cellular localizationCytoplasmic
- Apopain precursor
- CASP 3
- Caspase 3 apoptosis related cysteine protease
- Caspase 3 p12 subunit
- Caspase 3 p17 subunit
- CPP 32
- Cysteine protease CPP32
- Human cysteine protease CPP32 isoform alpha mRNA complete cds
- PARP cleavage protease
- SCA 1
- SREBP cleavage activity 1
- Yama protein
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab39383 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
References for Caspase 3 Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab39383)
This product has been referenced in:
- Burton TR et al. BNIP3 acts as transcriptional repressor of death receptor-5 expression and prevents TRAIL-induced cell death in gliomas. Cell Death Dis 4:e587 (2013). Read more (PubMed: 23579274) »
- Mejías R et al. Long term biotransformation and toxicity of dimercaptosuccinic acid-coated magnetic nanoparticles support their use in biomedical applications. J Control Release 171:225-33 (2013). Read more (PubMed: 23906866) »