Fluo-8 No Wash Calcium Assay kit (ab112129)
- Product nameFluo-8 No Wash Calcium Assay kitSee all Calcium kits ...
- Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Assay time1h 00m
- Species reactivityReacts with: Human
- Product overview
Abcam's Fluo-8 Calcium Assay Kits provide homogeneous fluorescence-based assays for detecting intracellular calcium mobilization. Cells expressing a GPCR of interest that signals through calcium are pre-loaded with Fluo-8 which can cross the cell membrane. Once inside the cell, the lipophilic blocking groups of Fluo-8 are cleaved by an esterase, resulting in a negatively charged fluorescent dye that stays inside the cell. Its fluorescence is greatly enhanced upon binding to calcium. When cells are stimulated with agonists, the receptor signals the release of intracellular calcium, which significantly increases the fluorescence of Fluo-8. The characteristics of its long wavelength, high sensitivity, and >100 times fluorescence enhancement make Fluo-8 an ideal indicator for the measurement of cellular calcium.
ab112129 provides an optimized assay method for monitoring the G-protein-coupled receptors and calcium channels. The assay can be performed in a convenient 96-well or 384-well microtiter-plate format and easily adapted to automation.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
This product is intended to use for monitoring calcium fluctuations in vivo in live cells. If you would like to quantify calcium concentration in vitro using cell extracts, we recommend using Calcium Detection Kit (Colorimetric) (ab102505) or Calcium Quantification Assay Kit (ab112115), as they provide stock standards for comparison.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 96 tests 10X Pluronic® F127 Plus 1 x 1ml Fluo-8 1 vial HHBS 1 x 9ml
- RelevanceCalcium is essential for all living organisms, where Ca2+ sequestration and release into and out of the cytoplasm functions as a signal for many cellular processes. 99% of calcium is found in bones and teeth with the remaining 1% found in the blood and soft tissue. Serum calcium levels are tightly controlled (8.4-11.4 mg/dL) and any variation outside this range can have serious effects. Calcium plays a role in mediating the constriction and relaxation of blood vessels, nerve impulse transmission, muscle contraction, and hormone secretion. Calcium ion channels control the migration of calcium ions across cell membranes, permitting the activation and inhibition of a wide variety of enzymes. Causes of low calcium levels include chronic kidney failure, vitamin D deficiency, and low blood magnesium levels that can occur in severe alcoholism.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab112129 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Fluo-8 No Wash Calcium Assay kit images
Carbachol Dose Response was measured in HEK293 cells with ab112129 and a Fluo-4 calcium assay kit. HEK293 cells were seeded overnight at 40,000 cells/100 µL/well in a black wall/clear bottom 96-well plate. The cells were incubated with 100 µL of dye-loading solution using the ab112129 or the Fluo-4 kit for 1 hour at room temperature. Carbachol (50 µL/well) was added to achieve the final concentrations indicated.
References for Fluo-8 No Wash Calcium Assay kit (ab112129)
ab112129 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.