Glutathione Detection Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab65322)
- Product nameGlutathione Detection Assay Kit (Fluorometric)See all Glutathione kits ...
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Assay time2h 00m
- Product overview
Abcam's Glutathione Detection Assay Kit (Fluorometric) provides a simple in vitro assay for detection of total glutathione changes in apoptosis and other samples. The assay utilizes monochlorobimane (MCB), a dye that appears to form an adduct exclusively with glutathione. The unbound MCB is almost nonfluorescent, whereas the dye fluoresces blue (Ex/Em = 380nm/461nm) when bound to glutathione of reduced or oxidized form. The reaction is catalyzed by glutathione S-transferase. Thus, the amount of total glutathione can be easily detected using a fluorometer or a 96-well fluorometric plate reader.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Glutathione is the principal intracellular low-molecular-weight thiol that plays a critical role in the cellular defense against oxidative and nitrosative stress in mammalian cells. Diminished glutathione levels have been observed in the early stages of apoptosis.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 25ml GSH Standard Yellow 1 vial GST Reagent Green 1 x 200µl Monochlorobimane Substrate Red 1 x 200µl
- Research Areas
- RelevanceGlutathione is a small peptide composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine and is present in tissues in concentrations as high as one millimolar. Glutathione is the principal intracellular low-molecular-weight thiol that plays a critical role in the cellular defense against oxidative and nitrosative stress in mammalian cells. Diminished glutathione levels have been observed in the early stages of apoptosis.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab65322 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Glutathione Detection Assay Kit (Fluorometric) images
Glutathione pool measured in THP-1 macrophages:
uninfected cells;WT: infected with M.tuberculosis wild type;
KO: infected with M.tuberculosis OppD knock-out;COM: infected with M.tuberculosis OppD knock-out complemented with OppDA gene.
106 cells were infected and lysed by treating them with 100µl of ice cold lysis buffer. Cell lysate was diluted and mixed as described in the kit protocol. After 30 min incubation at 37C, fluorescence was measured at Ex=380nm/ Em=460nm. Results represent the means of ± S.D. of three determinations.
Image obtained from Dasgupta A. et al; PLoS One; 2010 Aug 17; 5(8): e12225.
Glutathione assays were performed using various amounts of Glutathione as indicated. Results were analyzed according to the kit instructions.
References for Glutathione Detection Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab65322)
This product has been referenced in:
- Dasgupta A et al. An oligopeptide transporter of Mycobacterium tuberculosis regulates cytokine release and apoptosis of infected macrophages. PLoS One 5: (2010). Read more (PubMed: 20808924) »