Anti-Histone H3 (acetyl K9) antibody [AH3-120] - ChIP Grade (ab12179)
- Product nameAnti-Histone H3 (acetyl K9) antibody [AH3-120] - ChIP GradeSee all Histone H3 primary antibodies ...
- DescriptionMouse monoclonal [AH3-120] to Histone H3 (acetyl K9) - ChIP Grade
- SpecificityStaining of (acetyl K9) histone H3 in immunoblotting is specifically inhibited with the immunizing peptide. There is no inhibition with non-acetylated histone H3 peptide.
- Tested applicationsFlow Cyt, ChIP, WB, ELISA, ICC, ICC/IF more details
- Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Human, Fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster), Rice
Predicted to work with: Rat, Chicken, Cow, Xenopus laevis, Caenorhabditis elegans, a wide range of other species
A synthetic, acetylated histone H3 peptide (amino acids 7-20, acetyl K9) corresponding to the N-terminus of human histone H3, conjugated to KLH.
- General notesStorage in frost-free freezers is not recommended. If slight turbidity occurs upon prolonged storage, clarify the solution by centrifugation before use. Working dilutions should be discarded if not used within 12 hours.
- Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Upon delivery aliquot and store at -20°C. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
- Storage bufferPreservative: 15mM Sodium Azide
Constituents: 0.01M PBS, pH 7.4
- Concentration information loading...
- PurityImmunogen affinity purified
- Clonality Monoclonal
- Clone numberAH3-120
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab12179 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
ELISA: Use at an assay dependent dilution.
Flow Cyt: Use at an assay dependent dilution (PMID 19584087).
ICC: Use at an assay dependent dilution.
ICC/IF: Use at an assay dependent concentration.
WB: Use at a concentration of 1 - 2 µg/ml. Detects a band of approximately 17 kDa.
Not yet tested in other applications.
Optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
- FunctionCore component of nucleosome. Nucleosomes wrap and compact DNA into chromatin, limiting DNA accessibility to the cellular machineries which require DNA as a template. Histones thereby play a central role in transcription regulation, DNA repair, DNA replication and chromosomal stability. DNA accessibility is regulated via a complex set of post-translational modifications of histones, also called histone code, and nucleosome remodeling.
- Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the histone H3 family.
- Developmental stageExpressed during S phase, then expression strongly decreases as cell division slows down during the process of differentiation.
modificationsAcetylation is generally linked to gene activation. Acetylation on Lys-10 (H3K9ac) impairs methylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s). Acetylation on Lys-19 (H3K18ac) and Lys-24 (H3K24ac) favors methylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me).
Citrullination at Arg-9 (H3R8ci) and/or Arg-18 (H3R17ci) by PADI4 impairs methylation and represses transcription.
Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me2a) by CARM1 is linked to gene activation. Symmetric dimethylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s) by PRMT5 is linked to gene repression. Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-3 (H3R2me2a) by PRMT6 is linked to gene repression and is mutually exclusive with H3 Lys-5 methylation (H3K4me2 and H3K4me3). H3R2me2a is present at the 3' of genes regardless of their transcription state and is enriched on inactive promoters, while it is absent on active promoters.
Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me), Lys-37 (H3K36me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) are linked to gene activation. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) facilitates subsequent acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-80 (H3K79me) is associated with DNA double-strand break (DSB) responses and is a specific target for TP53BP1. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are linked to gene repression. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) is a specific target for HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) and prevents subsequent phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) and acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) require preliminary monoubiquitination of H2B at 'Lys-120'. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are enriched in inactive X chromosome chromatin.
Phosphorylated at Thr-4 (H3T3ph) by GSG2/haspin during prophase and dephosphorylated during anaphase. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB is crucial for chromosome condensation and cell-cycle progression during mitosis and meiosis. In addition phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by RPS6KA4 and RPS6KA5 is important during interphase because it enables the transcription of genes following external stimulation, like mitogens, stress, growth factors or UV irradiation and result in the activation of genes, such as c-fos and c-jun. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph), which is linked to gene activation, prevents methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) but facilitates acetylation of H3 and H4. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB mediates the dissociation of HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) from heterochromatin. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) is also an essential regulatory mechanism for neoplastic cell transformation. Phosphorylated at Ser-29 (H3S28ph) by MLTK isoform 1, RPS6KA5 or AURKB during mitosis or upon ultraviolet B irradiation. Phosphorylation at Thr-7 (H3T6ph) by PRKCBB is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that prevents demethylation of Lys-5 (H3K4me) by LSD1/KDM1A. At centromeres, specifically phosphorylated at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) from prophase to early anaphase, by DAPK3 and PKN1. Phosphorylation at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) by PKN1 is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that promotes demethylation of Lys-10 (H3K9me) by KDM4C/JMJD2C. Phosphorylation at Tyr-42 (H3Y41ph) by JAK2 promotes exclusion of CBX5 (HP1 alpha) from chromatin.
Monoubiquitinated by RAG1 in lymphoid cells, monoubiquitination is required for V(D)J recombination (By similarity). Ubiquitinated by the CUL4-DDB-RBX1 complex in response to ultraviolet irradiation. This may weaken the interaction between histones and DNA and facilitate DNA accessibility to repair proteins.
- Cellular localizationNucleus. Chromosome.
- Entrez Gene: 8350 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8351 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8352 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8353 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8354 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8355 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8356 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8357 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8358 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8968 Human
- Entrez Gene: 319152 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 319153 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 360198 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 97908 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 100364501 Rat
- Entrez Gene: 100365669 Rat
- Entrez Gene: 291159 Rat
- Entrez Gene: 679994 Rat
- Entrez Gene: 680511 Rat
- Entrez Gene: 682330 Rat
- Omim: 601128 Human
- Omim: 142780 Human
- Omim: 601058 Human
- SwissProt: P84229 Chicken
- SwissProt: P84243 Human
- SwissProt: Q71DI3 Human
- SwissProt: P68431 Human
- SwissProt: P68433 Mouse
- SwissProt: Q6LED0 Rat
- Unigene: 132854 Human
- Unigene: 247813 Human
- Unigene: 247814 Human
- Unigene: 248176 Human
- Unigene: 443021 Human
- Unigene: 484990 Human
- Unigene: 532144 Human
- Unigene: 533292 Human
- Unigene: 546315 Human
- Unigene: 586261 Human
- Unigene: 591778 Human
- Unigene: 221301 Mouse
- Unigene: 261657 Mouse
- Unigene: 377874 Mouse
- Unigene: 390558 Mouse
- Unigene: 397328 Mouse
- Unigene: 138090 Rat
- H 3 antibodyH3 3 Like Sequence MH921 antibodyH3 3A antibody
- H3 3A antibodyH3 antibodyH3 Histone antibodyH3 Histone Family Member E Pseudogene antibodyH3.4 antibodyH3/A antibodyH3/g antibodyH31_HUMAN antibodyH3F3 antibodyH3F3 antibodyH3FA antibodyH3FT antibodyH3t antibodyHIST1H3J antibodyHIST3H3 antibodyHIST3H3 antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3a antibodyHistone H3 3 Pseudogene antibodyHistone H3.1 antibodyHistone H3.3 antibodyHistone H3/a antibodyHistone H3/b antibodyHistone H3/c antibodyHistone H3/d antibodyHistone H3/f antibodyHistone H3/h antibodyHistone H3/i antibodyHistone H3/j antibodyHistone H3/k antibodyHistone H3/l antibody
Anti-Histone H3 (acetyl K9) antibody [AH3-120] - ChIP Grade images
SK-N-SH cells fixed in 4% paraformaldehyde, permeabilized in 0.5% Triton X-100 and incubated for 1 hour with ab12179 (1/1000 dilution). ab12179 staining is localized to the nucleus (red). The cells were counterstained with DAPI (blue). 100x magnification.
Chromatin was prepared from Hela cells according to the Abcam X-ChIP protocol. Cells were fixed with formaldehyde for 10min. The ChIP was performed with 25µg of chromatin, 5µg of ab12179 (blue), and 20µl of Protein A/G sepharose beads. No antibody was added to the beads control (yellow). The immunoprecipitated DNA was quantified by real time PCR (Taqman approach). Primers and probes are located in the first kb of the transcribed region.
ab12179 at a 1/1000 dilution staining Stylonychia lemnae (single cell organism, transcriptionally active macronucleus) by ICC/IF. The cells were paraformaldehyde fixed and incubated with the antibody for 12 hours. An Alexa Fluor ® 488 conjugated goat anti-mouse IgG antibody was used as the secondary.
In the image Histone H3 (acetyl K9) staining is red and is found in macronuclei only. Micronuclei remain unstained and are shown in blue (nucleic acid counterstain). Alpha tubulin is also stained (green).
References for Anti-Histone H3 (acetyl K9) antibody [AH3-120] - ChIP Grade (ab12179)
This product has been referenced in:
- Filippakopoulos P et al. Histone recognition and large-scale structural analysis of the human bromodomain family. Cell 149:214-31 (2012). WB . Read more (PubMed: 22464331) »
- Zhong L et al. The Histone Deacetylase Sirt6 Regulates Glucose Homeostasis via Hif1alpha. Cell 140:280-293 (2010). ChIP ; Mouse . Read more (PubMed: 20141841) »