Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab8284)
- Product nameAnti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP GradeSee all Histone H3 (methylated) primary antibodies ...
- DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to Histone H3 (methylated) - ChIP Grade
- SpecificityPeptide competition experiments confirmed that the antibody recognises specifically methylated R17 in H3 and not unmethylated H3 or methylated R3 in H4 (see figure 1). In whole cell extract the antibody recognises specifically only the methylated histone H3 protein band (see figure 2) Further, the antibody doesn't crossreact with the C-terminal methylation sites of CARM1 in histone H3. In IHC on paraffin-embedded sections of human tonsil, the antibody shows nuclear staining across most nuclei. Slight batch to batch variation is observed, but no more than 50% cross reactivity with symmetric di methyl R17 peptide is allowed.
- Tested applicationsChIP/Chip, PepArr, IHC-P, ICC/IF, ChIP, Dot Blot, IP, WB more details
- Species reactivityReacts with: Chicken, Cow, Human, Fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster), Toxoplasma gondii
Predicted to work with: all Mammals
Synthetic peptide conjugated to KLH derived from within residues 1 - 100 of Human Histone H3, di methylated at R17.
(Peptide available as ab16935.)
- Positive controlThis antibody gave a positive signal in HeLa Histone Preparation Nuclear whole cell lysate. It also gave a positive result in MCF7 cell line.
- General notes
The nuclear hormone receptor co-activator CARM1 has the potential to methylate histone H3 at arginine residues in vitro. The methyltransferase activity of CARM1 is necessary for its co-activator functions in transient transfection assays. However, the role of this methyltransferase in vivo is unclear, given that methylation of arginines is not easily detectable on purified histones. This antibody recognizes methylated arginine 17 (R17) of histone H3, the major site of methylation by CARM1. Bauer et al (2001) have shown by using this antibody that methylated R17 exists in vivo. Chromatin immunoprecipitation analysis shows that R17 methylation on histone H3 is dramatically upregulated when the estrogen receptor-regulated pS2 gene is stimulated by estradiol and TPA. Coincident with the appearance of methylated R17, the CARM1 methyltransferase is found associated with the histones on the pS2 gene. Together these results demonstrate that the CARM1 methyltransferase is recruited to an active promoter and that CARM1-mediated methylation of histone H3 at R17 takes place in vivo during this active state.
- Storage instructionsStore at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Aliquot and store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
- Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.02% Sodium azide
Note: Batches of this product that have a concentration < 1mg/ml may have BSA added as a stabilising agent. If you would like information about the formulation of a specific lot, please contact our scientific support team who will be happy to help.
- Concentration information loading...
- PurityImmunogen affinity purified
- Primary antibody notes The nuclear hormone receptor co-activator CARM1 has the potential to methylate histone H3 at arginine residues in vitro. The methyltransferase activity of CARM1 is necessary for its co-activator functions in transient transfection assays. However, the role of this methyltransferase in vivo is unclear, given that methylation of arginines is not easily detectable on purified histones. This antibody recognizes methylated arginine 17 (R17) of histone H3, the major site of methylation by CARM1. Bauer et al (2001) have shown by using this antibody that methylated R17 exists in vivo. Chromatin immunoprecipitation analysis shows that R17 methylation on histone H3 is dramatically upregulated when the estrogen receptor-regulated pS2 gene is stimulated by estradiol and TPA. Coincident with the appearance of methylated R17, the CARM1 methyltransferase is found associated with the histones on the pS2 gene. Together these results demonstrate that the CARM1 methyltransferase is recruited to an active promoter and that CARM1-mediated methylation of histone H3 at R17 takes place in vivo during this active state.
- Clonality Polyclonal
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab8284 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|ChIP/Chip||ChIP/Chip: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|PepArr||PepArr: Use a concentration of 0.002 - 0.0002 µg/ml.|
|IHC-P||IHC-P: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|ICC/IF||ICC/IF: Use a concentration of 0.1 µg/ml.|
|ChIP||ChIP: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|Dot Blot||Dot: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|IP||IP: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|WB||WB: 1/1000 - 1/2000. Can be blocked with Histone H3 peptide - asymmetric di methyl R17 (ab16935).|
- FunctionCore component of nucleosome. Nucleosomes wrap and compact DNA into chromatin, limiting DNA accessibility to the cellular machineries which require DNA as a template. Histones thereby play a central role in transcription regulation, DNA repair, DNA replication and chromosomal stability. DNA accessibility is regulated via a complex set of post-translational modifications of histones, also called histone code, and nucleosome remodeling.
- Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the histone H3 family.
- Developmental stageExpressed during S phase, then expression strongly decreases as cell division slows down during the process of differentiation.
modificationsAcetylation is generally linked to gene activation. Acetylation on Lys-10 (H3K9ac) impairs methylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s). Acetylation on Lys-19 (H3K18ac) and Lys-24 (H3K24ac) favors methylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me).
Citrullination at Arg-9 (H3R8ci) and/or Arg-18 (H3R17ci) by PADI4 impairs methylation and represses transcription.
Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me2a) by CARM1 is linked to gene activation. Symmetric dimethylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s) by PRMT5 is linked to gene repression. Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-3 (H3R2me2a) by PRMT6 is linked to gene repression and is mutually exclusive with H3 Lys-5 methylation (H3K4me2 and H3K4me3). H3R2me2a is present at the 3' of genes regardless of their transcription state and is enriched on inactive promoters, while it is absent on active promoters.
Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me), Lys-37 (H3K36me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) are linked to gene activation. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) facilitates subsequent acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-80 (H3K79me) is associated with DNA double-strand break (DSB) responses and is a specific target for TP53BP1. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are linked to gene repression. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) is a specific target for HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) and prevents subsequent phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) and acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) require preliminary monoubiquitination of H2B at 'Lys-120'. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are enriched in inactive X chromosome chromatin.
Phosphorylated at Thr-4 (H3T3ph) by GSG2/haspin during prophase and dephosphorylated during anaphase. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB is crucial for chromosome condensation and cell-cycle progression during mitosis and meiosis. In addition phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by RPS6KA4 and RPS6KA5 is important during interphase because it enables the transcription of genes following external stimulation, like mitogens, stress, growth factors or UV irradiation and result in the activation of genes, such as c-fos and c-jun. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph), which is linked to gene activation, prevents methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) but facilitates acetylation of H3 and H4. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB mediates the dissociation of HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) from heterochromatin. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) is also an essential regulatory mechanism for neoplastic cell transformation. Phosphorylated at Ser-29 (H3S28ph) by MLTK isoform 1, RPS6KA5 or AURKB during mitosis or upon ultraviolet B irradiation. Phosphorylation at Thr-7 (H3T6ph) by PRKCBB is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that prevents demethylation of Lys-5 (H3K4me) by LSD1/KDM1A. At centromeres, specifically phosphorylated at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) from prophase to early anaphase, by DAPK3 and PKN1. Phosphorylation at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) by PKN1 is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that promotes demethylation of Lys-10 (H3K9me) by KDM4C/JMJD2C. Phosphorylation at Tyr-42 (H3Y41ph) by JAK2 promotes exclusion of CBX5 (HP1 alpha) from chromatin.
Monoubiquitinated by RAG1 in lymphoid cells, monoubiquitination is required for V(D)J recombination (By similarity). Ubiquitinated by the CUL4-DDB-RBX1 complex in response to ultraviolet irradiation. This may weaken the interaction between histones and DNA and facilitate DNA accessibility to repair proteins.
- Cellular localizationNucleus. Chromosome.
- Entrez Gene: 427887 Chicken
- Entrez Gene: 326601 Cow
- Entrez Gene: 8350 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8351 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8352 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8353 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8354 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8355 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8356 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8357 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8358 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8968 Human
- Omim: 601128 Human
- SwissProt: P84229 Chicken
- SwissProt: P68432 Cow
- SwissProt: P02299 Fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster)
- SwissProt: Q93081 Human
- SwissProt: Q16695 Human
- SwissProt: P68431 Human
- Unigene: 132854 Human
- Unigene: 247813 Human
- Unigene: 247814 Human
- Unigene: 248176 Human
- Unigene: 443021 Human
- Unigene: 484990 Human
- Unigene: 532144 Human
- Unigene: 533292 Human
- Unigene: 546315 Human
- Unigene: 586261 Human
- Unigene: 591778 Human
- FLJ92264 antibodyH3 histone antibodyH3 histone antibody
- H3 histone family, member A antibodyH3/a antibodyH3/b antibodyH3/c antibodyH3/d antibodyh3/f antibodyH3/h antibodyH3/i antibodyH3/j antibodyH3/k antibodyH3/l antibodyH31_HUMAN antibodyH3F1K antibodyH3F3 antibodyH3F3 antibodyH3FA antibodyH3FB antibodyH3FC antibodyH3FD antibodyH3FF antibodyH3FH antibodyH3FI antibodyH3FJ antibodyH3FK antibodyH3FL antibodyHIST1H3A antibodyHIST1H3B antibodyHIST1H3C antibodyHIST1H3D antibodyHIST1H3E antibodyHIST1H3F antibodyHIST1H3G antibodyHIST1H3H antibodyHIST1H3I antibodyHIST1H3J antibodyHIST3H3 antibodyHIST3H3 antibodyHistone 1, H3a antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3a antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3b antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3c antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3d antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3e antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3f antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3g antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3i antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3j antibodyHistone H 3 antibodyHistone H3.1 antibodyHistone H3.1 antibodyHistone H3/a antibodyHistone H3/b antibodyHistone H3/c antibodyHistone H3/d antibodyHistone H3/f antibodyHistone H3/h antibodyHistone H3/i antibodyHistone H3/j antibodyHistone H3/k antibodyHistone H3/l antibody
Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade images
All batches of ab8284 are tested in Peptide Array against peptides to different Histone H3 modifications. Six dilutions of each peptide are printed on to the Peptide Array in triplicate and results are averaged before being plotted on to a graph. Results show strong binding to Histone H3 - asymmetric di methyl R17 peptide (ab16935), indicating that this antibody specifically recognises the Histone H3 - asymmetric di methyl R17 modification.
- ab16935 - Histone H3 - asymmetric di methyl R17
- ab32948 - Histone H3 - symmetric di methyl R17
- ab14663 - Histone H3 - unmodified
Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab8284) at 1 µg/ml + HeLa Histone Preparation Nuclear Lysate at 2.5 µg/ml
Goat polyclonal Secondary Antibody to Rabbit IgG - H&L (HRP), pre-adsorbed (ab97080) at 1/5000 dilution
developed using the ECL technique
Performed under reducing conditions.
Predicted band size : 15.4 kDa
Observed band size : 17 kDa (why is the actual band size different from the predicted?)
Additional bands at : 55 kDa,60 kDa,90 kDa. We are unsure as to the identity of these extra bands.
Exposure time : 2 minutes
Total U2OS cell extract was western blotted using the anti-Me-R17H3 antibody. The asterisk indicates methylated histone H3. The left panel shows presence of core histones (indicated on the left) by Coomassie Blue staining. Molecular weights are indicated on the right.
A dot blot was performed using unmodified peptide (lane 1), Histone H3 mono methyl R17 peptide (lane 2), Histone H3 asymmetric di methyl R17 peptide (lane 3) and Histone H3 symmetric di methyl R17 peptide (lane 4). The dot blot indicates that ab8284 is specific to Histone H3 asymmetric di methyl R17.
ab8284 was used in immunohistochemistry with paraffin embedded sections of human tonsil, using DAB as a chromogen (brown). Counterstaining of nuclei was performed with haemotoxylin (blue).
Staining is seen confined to the nucleus.
ICC/IF image of ab8284 stained MCF7 cells. The cells were 100% methanol fixed (5 min) and then incubated in 1%BSA / 10% normal goat serum / 0.3M glycine in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 1h to permeabilise the cells and block non-specific protein-protein interactions. The cells were then incubated with the antibody (ab8284, 0.1µg/ml) overnight at +4°C. The secondary antibody (green) was ab96899, DyLight® 488 goat anti-rabbit IgG (H+L) used at a 1/250 dilution for 1h. Alexa Fluor® 594 WGA was used to label plasma membranes (red) at a 1/200 dilution for 1h. DAPI was used to stain the cell nuclei (blue) at a concentration of 1.43µM.
References for Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab8284)
This product has been referenced in:
- Wu J & Xu W Histone H3R17me2a mark recruits human RNA Polymerase-Associated Factor 1 Complex to activate transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:5675-80 (2012). Read more (PubMed: 22451921) »
- Wang Y et al. Anticancer Peptidylarginine Deiminase (PAD) Inhibitors Regulate the Autophagy Flux and the Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Complex 1 Activity. J Biol Chem 287:25941-53 (2012). ChIP . Read more (PubMed: 22605338) »