Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab9048)
- Product nameAnti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP GradeSee all Histone H3 (methylated) primary antibodies ...
- DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to Histone H3 (methylated) - ChIP Grade
- SpecificitySpecific for human Histone H3 mono methyl K36. Shows partial cross-reactivity with di-methyl K36 (please see Western Blot image). This antibody may not be suitable for experiments on yeast lysate. Although the antibody is specifically blocked using the immunising peptide, customer feedback indicates that it detects a band using S. cerevisiae K36 point mutants. We welcome further customer feedback.
- Tested applicationsIHC-P, ICC, ICC/IF, WB, ChIP more details
- Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Cow, Human, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Arabidopsis thaliana, Fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster)
Predicted to work with: all Mammals
Synthetic peptide conjugated to KLH derived from within residues 1 - 100 of Human Histone H3, mono methylated at K36.
(Peptide available as ab1783.)
- Positive controlHeLa Histone Preparation; Hela whole cell extract
- Storage instructionsStore at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Aliquot and store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
- Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.02% Sodium azide
Note: Batches of this product that have a concentration < 1mg/ml may have BSA added as a stabilising agent. If you would like information about the formulation of a specific lot, please contact our scientific support team who will be happy to help.
- Concentration information loading...
- PurityImmunogen affinity purified
- Clonality Polyclonal
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab9048 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|IHC-P||IHC-P: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
|ICC||ICC: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|ICC/IF||ICC/IF: Use at an assay dependent dilution. PubMed: 19727073|
|WB||WB: 1/1000. Can be blocked with Histone H3 peptide - mono methyl K36 (ab1783).|
|ChIP||ChIP: Use a concentration of 1 - 4 µg/ml.|
- FunctionCore component of nucleosome. Nucleosomes wrap and compact DNA into chromatin, limiting DNA accessibility to the cellular machineries which require DNA as a template. Histones thereby play a central role in transcription regulation, DNA repair, DNA replication and chromosomal stability. DNA accessibility is regulated via a complex set of post-translational modifications of histones, also called histone code, and nucleosome remodeling.
- Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the histone H3 family.
- Developmental stageExpressed during S phase, then expression strongly decreases as cell division slows down during the process of differentiation.
modificationsAcetylation is generally linked to gene activation. Acetylation on Lys-10 (H3K9ac) impairs methylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s). Acetylation on Lys-19 (H3K18ac) and Lys-24 (H3K24ac) favors methylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me).
Citrullination at Arg-9 (H3R8ci) and/or Arg-18 (H3R17ci) by PADI4 impairs methylation and represses transcription.
Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me2a) by CARM1 is linked to gene activation. Symmetric dimethylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s) by PRMT5 is linked to gene repression. Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-3 (H3R2me2a) by PRMT6 is linked to gene repression and is mutually exclusive with H3 Lys-5 methylation (H3K4me2 and H3K4me3). H3R2me2a is present at the 3' of genes regardless of their transcription state and is enriched on inactive promoters, while it is absent on active promoters.
Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me), Lys-37 (H3K36me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) are linked to gene activation. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) facilitates subsequent acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-80 (H3K79me) is associated with DNA double-strand break (DSB) responses and is a specific target for TP53BP1. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are linked to gene repression. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) is a specific target for HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) and prevents subsequent phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) and acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) require preliminary monoubiquitination of H2B at 'Lys-120'. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are enriched in inactive X chromosome chromatin.
Phosphorylated at Thr-4 (H3T3ph) by GSG2/haspin during prophase and dephosphorylated during anaphase. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB is crucial for chromosome condensation and cell-cycle progression during mitosis and meiosis. In addition phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by RPS6KA4 and RPS6KA5 is important during interphase because it enables the transcription of genes following external stimulation, like mitogens, stress, growth factors or UV irradiation and result in the activation of genes, such as c-fos and c-jun. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph), which is linked to gene activation, prevents methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) but facilitates acetylation of H3 and H4. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB mediates the dissociation of HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) from heterochromatin. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) is also an essential regulatory mechanism for neoplastic cell transformation. Phosphorylated at Ser-29 (H3S28ph) by MLTK isoform 1, RPS6KA5 or AURKB during mitosis or upon ultraviolet B irradiation. Phosphorylation at Thr-7 (H3T6ph) by PRKCBB is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that prevents demethylation of Lys-5 (H3K4me) by LSD1/KDM1A. At centromeres, specifically phosphorylated at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) from prophase to early anaphase, by DAPK3 and PKN1. Phosphorylation at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) by PKN1 is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that promotes demethylation of Lys-10 (H3K9me) by KDM4C/JMJD2C. Phosphorylation at Tyr-42 (H3Y41ph) by JAK2 promotes exclusion of CBX5 (HP1 alpha) from chromatin.
Monoubiquitinated by RAG1 in lymphoid cells, monoubiquitination is required for V(D)J recombination (By similarity). Ubiquitinated by the CUL4-DDB-RBX1 complex in response to ultraviolet irradiation. This may weaken the interaction between histones and DNA and facilitate DNA accessibility to repair proteins.
- Cellular localizationNucleus. Chromosome.
- Entrez Gene: 326601 Cow
- Entrez Gene: 8350 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8351 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8352 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8353 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8354 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8355 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8356 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8357 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8358 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8968 Human
- Entrez Gene: 319152 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 319153 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 360198 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 97908 Mouse
- Omim: 601128 Human
- SwissProt: P59226 Arabidopsis thaliana
- SwissProt: P68432 Cow
- SwissProt: P02299 Fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster)
- SwissProt: Q93081 Human
- SwissProt: Q16695 Human
- SwissProt: P68431 Human
- SwissProt: P68433 Mouse
- Unigene: 132854 Human
- Unigene: 247813 Human
- Unigene: 247814 Human
- Unigene: 248176 Human
- Unigene: 443021 Human
- Unigene: 484990 Human
- Unigene: 532144 Human
- Unigene: 533292 Human
- Unigene: 546315 Human
- Unigene: 586261 Human
- Unigene: 591778 Human
- Unigene: 221301 Mouse
- Unigene: 261657 Mouse
- Unigene: 377874 Mouse
- Unigene: 390558 Mouse
- Unigene: 397328 Mouse
- FLJ92264 antibodyH3 histone antibodyH3 histone antibody
- H3 histone family, member A antibodyH3/a antibodyH3/b antibodyH3/c antibodyH3/d antibodyh3/f antibodyH3/h antibodyH3/i antibodyH3/j antibodyH3/k antibodyH3/l antibodyH31_HUMAN antibodyH3F1K antibodyH3F3 antibodyH3F3 antibodyH3FA antibodyH3FB antibodyH3FC antibodyH3FD antibodyH3FF antibodyH3FH antibodyH3FI antibodyH3FJ antibodyH3FK antibodyH3FL antibodyHIST1H3A antibodyHIST1H3B antibodyHIST1H3C antibodyHIST1H3D antibodyHIST1H3E antibodyHIST1H3F antibodyHIST1H3G antibodyHIST1H3H antibodyHIST1H3I antibodyHIST1H3J antibodyHIST3H3 antibodyHIST3H3 antibodyHistone 1, H3a antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3a antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3b antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3c antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3d antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3e antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3f antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3g antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3i antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3j antibodyHistone H 3 antibodyHistone H3.1 antibodyHistone H3.1 antibodyHistone H3/a antibodyHistone H3/b antibodyHistone H3/c antibodyHistone H3/d antibodyHistone H3/f antibodyHistone H3/h antibodyHistone H3/i antibodyHistone H3/j antibodyHistone H3/k antibodyHistone H3/l antibody
Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade images
All lanes : Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab9048) at 1/500 dilution
Lane 1 : Histone prep
Lane 2 : Histone prep with
Histone H3 peptide - mono methyl K36 (ab1783) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 3 : Histone prep with
Histone H3 peptide - di methyl K36 (ab1784) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 4 : Histone prep with
Histone H3 peptide - tri methyl K36 (ab1785) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 5 : Histone prep with
Histone H3 peptide - unmodified (ab2623) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 6 : Histone prep with
Histone H3 peptide - mono methyl K4 (ab1340) at 1 µg/ml
Lysates/proteins at 0.5 µg per lane.
Goat polyclonal Secondary Antibody to Rabbit IgG - H&L (HRP) (ab6721) at 1/5000 dilution
ab9048 specifically recognises Histone H3 mono methyl K36. The activity of the antibody is quenched by the addition of the blocking peptide, ab1783 (lane 2).
Staining of interphase nuclei of Hela cells with ab9048 (green) at a working dilution of 1/500. The DNA is stained with DAPI. ab9048 appears to be more associated with heterochromatin (DAPI intense regions) than euchromatin (DAPI less intense regions).
Chromatin was prepared from U2OS cells according to the Abcam X-ChIP protocol. Cells were fixed with formaldehyde for 10 min. The ChIP was performed with 25 µg of chromatin, 2 µg of ab9048 (blue), and 20 µl of protein A/G sepharose beads. No antibody was added to the beads control (yellow). The immunoprecipitated DNA was quantified by real time PCR (Taqman approach). Primers and probes are located in the first kb of the transcribed region.
ab9048 staining Histone H3 (mono methyl K36) in Mouse pancreatic tumor tissue by Immunohistochemistry (Formalin/ PFA-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue sections). The sections were PFA-fixed and subjected to Heat mediated antigen retrieval in citrate and permeabilized with PBST prior to blocking with 5% serum for 1 hour at room temperature. The primary antibody was diluted 1/500 in PBS and incubated with the sample for 8 hours at 4°C. A Biotin-conjugated Goat anti-Rabbit polyclonal was used as the secondary antibody, diluted 1/1000.
ICC/IF image of ab9048 stained HeLa cells. The cells were 4% formaldehyde fixed (10 min) and then incubated in 1%BSA / 10% normal goat serum / 0.3M glycine in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 1h to permeabilise the cells and block non-specific protein-protein interactions. The cells were then incubated with the antibody (ab9048, 0.1µg/ml) overnight at +4°C. The secondary antibody (green) was ab96899, DyLight® 488 goat anti-rabbit IgG (H+L) used at a 1/250 dilution for 1h. Alexa Fluor® 594 WGA was used to label plasma membranes (red) at a 1/200 dilution for 1h. DAPI was used to stain the cell nuclei (blue) at a concentration of 1.43µM. This antibody also gave a positive result in 4% formaldehyde fixed (10 min) Hek293, HepG2 and MCF7 cells at 0.1µg/ml, and in 100% methanol fixed (5 min) HeLa, Hek293, HepG2 and MCF7 cells at 0.1µg/ml.
All lanes : Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab9048) at 1/1400 dilution
Lane 1 : Whole cell lysate prepared from Drosophila BG3 cells
Lane 2 : Whole cell lysate prepared from Drosophila BG3 cells
Lysates/proteins at 500000 cells per lane.
HRP donkey anti-rabbit monoclonal at 1/20000 dilution
developed using the ECL technique
Observed band size : 17,42 kDa (why is the actual band size different from the predicted?)
Exposure time : 30 seconds
Image courtesy of an anonymous Abreview.
References for Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab9048)
This product has been referenced in:
- Youn MY et al. JMJD5, a Jumonji C (JmjC) Domain-containing Protein, Negatively Regulates Osteoclastogenesis by Facilitating NFATc1 Protein Degradation. J Biol Chem 287:12994-3004 (2012). ICC/IF ; Human . Read more (PubMed: 22375008) »
- Tan MK et al. SCF(FBXO22) regulates histone H3 lysine 9 and 36 methylation levels by targeting histone demethylase KDM4A for ubiquitin-mediated proteasomal degradation. Mol Cell Biol 31:3687-99 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 21768309) »