Ionomycin (free acid) (ab120370)
- Product nameIonomycin (free acid)
- DescriptionCa2+ ionophore
- Biological descriptionPotent, highly selective Ca2+ ionophore. Effective mobile ion carrier for Ca2+, highly specific for divalent cations (Ca > Mg >> Sr = Ba). Useful for studies of Ca2+ transport across biological membranes and increasing intracellular Ca2+ concentrations. Complexes with Ca2+ between pH 7 and 9.5. Absorption max. (280 nm, MeOH): 18,600 M-1cm-1.
- Purity> 99%
- Chemical name(4R,6S,8S,10Z,12R,14R,16E,18R,19R,20S,21S)-11,19,21-Trihydroxy-4,6,8,12,14,18,20-heptamethyl-22-[(2S,2'R,5S,5'S)-octahydro-5'-[(1R)-1-hydroxyethyl]-2,5'-dimethyl[2,2'-bifuran]-5-yl]-9-oxo-10,16-docosadienoic acid
- Molecular Weight709.01
- Chemical structure
- Molecular formulaC41H72O9
- CAS Number56092-81-0
- PubChem identifier6912226
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C (desiccating conditions).
- Solubility overviewSoluble in ethanol to 10 mM and in DMSO to 10 mM
Providing storage is as stated on the product vial and the vial is kept tightly sealed, the product can be stored for up to 6 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Research Area
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Ca2+ signaling
- Ionophores, Indicators & Chelators
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120370 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||FuncS: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
Ionomycin (free acid) images
ab58668 staining ATF3 in A549 cells treated with ionomycin (free acid) (ab120370), by ICC/IF. Increase in ATF3 expression correlates with increased concentration of ionomycin (free acid), as described in literature.
The cells were incubated at 37°C for 2h in media containing different concentrations of ab120370 (Ionomycin (free acid)) in DMSO, fixed with 4% formaldehyde for 10 minutes at room temperature and blocked with PBS containing 10% goat serum, 0.3 M glycine, 1% BSA and 0.1% tween for 2h at room temperature. Staining of the treated cells with ab58668 (10 µg/ml) was performed overnight at 4°C in PBS containing 1% BSA and 0.1% tween. A DyLight 488 goat anti-mouse polyclonal antibody (ab96879) at 1/250 dilution was used as the secondary antibody. Nuclei were counterstained with DAPI and are shown in blue.
References for Ionomycin (free acid) (ab120370)
This product has been referenced in:
- Mason MJ & Grinstein S Ionomycin activates electrogenic Ca2+ influx in rat thymic lymphocytes. Biochem J 296 ( Pt 1):33-9 (1993). Read more (PubMed: 8250855) »
- Liu C & Hermann TE Characterization of ionomycin as a calcium ionophore. J Biol Chem 253:5892-4 (1978). Read more (PubMed: 28319) »