Iron Assay Kit (ab83366)
- Product nameIron Assay Kit
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Sensitivity> 8 µM
- Range8 µM - 400 µM
- Assay time1h 00m
- Product overview
Abcam's Iron Assay Kit provides a simple convenient means of measuring Ferrous and/or Ferric ion in sample. In the assay, ferric carrier protein will dissociate ferric into solution in the presence of acid buffer. After reduction to the ferrous form (Fe2+), iron reacts with Ferene S to produce a stable colored complex and give absorbance at 593 nm. A specific chelate chemical is included in the buffer to block copper ion (Cu2+) interference. The kit measures iron in the linear range of 0.4 to 20 nmol in 50 µl sample, or 8 µM to 400 µM iron concentration in various samples.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Iron is essential to nearly all known organisms. It is generally stored in the centre of metalloproteins, in the heme complex, and in oxygen carrier proteins. Inorganic iron also contributes to redox reactions in the iron-sulfur clusters of many enzymes, such as nitrogenase and hydrogenase.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
Components Identifier 100 tests Iron Assay Buffer WM 1 x 15ml Iron Probe NM 1 x 12ml Iron Reducer Green 1 x 700µl Iron Standard (100 mM) Yellow 1 x 100µl
- Research Areas
- RelevanceIron is essential to nearly all known organisms. It is generally stored in the centre of metalloproteins, in the heme complex, and in oxygen carrier proteins. Inorganic iron also contributes to redox reactions in the iron-sulfur clusters of many enzymes, such as nitrogenase and hydrogenase.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab83366 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Iron Assay Kit images
Example of iron standard curve using ab83366
Example of a Sample time line using ab83366
References for Iron Assay Kit (ab83366)
This product has been referenced in:
- Leal SM et al. Targeting iron acquisition blocks infection with the fungal pathogens Aspergillus fumigatus and Fusarium oxysporum. PLoS Pathog 9:e1003436 (2013). Read more (PubMed: 23853581) »
- Davies P et al. Alpha-synuclein is a cellular ferrireductase. PLoS One 6:e15814 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 21249223) »