L-Carnitine Assay Kit (ab83392)
- Product nameL-Carnitine Assay Kit
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Range1 µM - 200 µM
- Assay time0h 30m
- Product overview
Abcam's L-Carnitine Assay Kit is a simple convenient means of measuring free L-Carnitine in biological samples such as serum. The assay transfers an acetyl group from CoA to carnitine and the free CoA formed is further processed with subsequent oxidation of the OxiRed probe to give fluorescence (Ex/Em 535 nm 587 nm) and absorbance (570 nm). The normal range for serum L-Carnitine is ~20-100 µM. The detection sensitivity is ~1 µM for the fluorometric assay and ~10 µM for the colorimetric assay.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Carnitine is a quaternary ammonium compound biosynthesized from the amino acids lysine and methionine. It is required for transport of fatty acids into the mitochondrial matrix via the carnitine/acylcarnitine shuttle where beta-oxidation occurs, acetate is generated and the acetate utilized in the TCA cycle for the generation of energy. L-Carnitine is often sold as a nutritional supplement. Carnitine exists in two stereoisomers. Only L-carnitine is biologically active.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Carnitine Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml Carnitine Converting Enzyme (lyophilized) Purple 1 vial Carnitine Development Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial Carnitine Probe (in DMSO) Red 1 x 200µl Carnitine Standard (10 µmol) (lyophilized) Yellow 1 vial Carnitine Substrate Mix Blue 1 x 400µl
- RelevanceCarnitine is a quaternary ammonium compound biosynthesized from the amino acids lysine and methionine. It is required for transport of fatty acids into the mitochondrial matrix via the carnitine/acylcarnitine shuttle where beta oxidation occurs, acetate is generated and the acetate utilized in the TCA cycle for the generation of energy. L Carnitine is often sold as an antioxidant in nutritional supplements. Carnitine exists in two stereoisomers. Only L carnitine is biologically active.
- L Carnitine
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab83392 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
References for L-Carnitine Assay Kit (ab83392)
ab83392 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.