Anti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody  - Oligodendrocyte Marker (ab7349)
- Product nameAnti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody  - Oligodendrocyte MarkerSee all Myelin Basic Protein primary antibodies ...
- DescriptionRat monoclonal  to Myelin Basic Protein - Oligodendrocyte Marker
- SpecificityThe antibody reacts weakly with peptides ending in the Phe 91 where the 91-92 Phe-Phe bond is broken. Synthetic peptide 82-99 reacts very well, as does intact MBP. Further epitope analysis indicates binding to a region defined by amino acids 82-87 (DENPVV). Mapped by Geyson method to DENPW method.
- Tested applicationsIHC-FoFr, IHC-P, WB, ELISA, RIA, IHC-Fr, ICC/IF more details
- Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Sheep, Rabbit, Guinea pig, Cow, Dog, Human, Pig, Apteronotus leptorhynchus
Full length protein (Cow).
- EpitopeAmino acids 82-87 (DENPVV).
- Storage instructionsStore at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Aliquot and store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
- Storage bufferPreservative: 0.1% Sodium Azide
Constituents: Tissue Culture Supernatant
- PurityTissue culture supernatant
- Clonality Monoclonal
- Clone number12
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab7349 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|IHC-FoFr||IHC-FoFr: Use at an assay dependent concentration. PubMed: 18678887|
|IHC-P||IHC-P: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
|WB||WB: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
|ELISA||ELISA: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
|RIA||RIA: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
|IHC-Fr||IHC-Fr: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
|ICC/IF||ICC/IF: Use at an assay dependent concentration. PubMed: 23584610|
- FunctionThe classic group of MBP isoforms (isoform 4-isoform 14) are with PLP the most abundant protein components of the myelin membrane in the CNS. They have a role in both its formation and stabilization. The smaller isoforms might have an important role in remyelination of denuded axons in multiple sclerosis. The non-classic group of MBP isoforms (isoform 1-isoform 3/Golli-MBPs) may preferentially have a role in the early developing brain long before myelination, maybe as components of transcriptional complexes, and may also be involved in signaling pathways in T-cells and neural cells. Differential splicing events combined with optional post-translational modifications give a wide spectrum of isomers, with each of them potentially having a specialized function. Induces T-cell proliferation.
- Tissue specificityMBP isoforms are found in both the central and the peripheral nervous system, whereas Golli-MBP isoforms are expressed in fetal thymus, spleen and spinal cord, as well as in cell lines derived from the immune system.
- Involvement in diseaseNote=The reduction in the surface charge of citrullinated and/or methylated MBP could result in a weakened attachment to the myelin membrane. This mechanism could be operative in demyelinating diseases such as chronical multiple sclerosis (MS), and fulminating MS (Marburg disease).
- Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the myelin basic protein family.
- Developmental stageExpression begins abruptly in 14-16 week old fetuses. Even smaller isoforms seem to be produced during embryogenesis; some of these persisting in the adult. Isoform 4 expression is more evident at 16 weeks and its relative proportion declines thereafter.
modificationsSeveral charge isomers of MBP; C1 (the most cationic, least modified, and most abundant form), C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8-A and C8-B (the least cationic form); are produced as a result of optional PTM, such as phosphorylation, deamidation of glutamine or asparagine, arginine citrullination and methylation. C8-A and C8-B contain each two mass isoforms termed C8-A(H), C8-A(L), C8-B(H) and C8-B(L), (H) standing for higher and (L) for lower molecular weight. C3, C4 and C5 are phosphorylated. The ratio of methylated arginine residues decreases during aging, making the protein more cationic.
The N-terminal alanine is acetylated (isoform 3, isoform 4, isoform 5 and isoform 6).
Arg-241 was found to be 6% monomethylated and 60% symmetrically dimethylated.
- Cellular localizationMyelin membrane. Cytoplasmic side of myelin.
- Entrez Gene: 618684 Cow
- Entrez Gene: 476160 Dog
- Entrez Gene: 4155 Human
- Entrez Gene: 17196 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 414286 Pig
- Entrez Gene: 24547 Rat
- Omim: 159430 Human
- SwissProt: P02687 Cow
- SwissProt: P25188 Guinea pig
- SwissProt: P02686 Human
- SwissProt: P04370 Mouse
- SwissProt: P81558 Pig
- SwissProt: P25274 Rabbit
- SwissProt: P02688 Rat
- Unigene: 551713 Human
- Unigene: 252063 Mouse
- Unigene: 392350 Mouse
- Unigene: 454459 Mouse
- Unigene: 63285 Rat
- GDB antibody
- Golli MBP antibody
- Golli MBP; myelin basic protein antibody
- Hemopoietic MBP antibody
- HMBPR antibody
- HUGO antibody
- MBP antibody
- MBP_HUMAN antibody
- MGC99675 antibody
- MLD antibody
- Myelin A1 Protein antibody
- Myelin basic protein antibody
- Myelin Deficient antibody
- Myelin Membrane Encephalitogenic Protein antibody
- OTTHUMP00000163776 antibody
- OTTHUMP00000174387 antibody
- OTTHUMP00000174388 antibody
- SHI antibody
- Shiverer antibody
- SP antibody
Anti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody  - Oligodendrocyte Marker images
ab7349 at 1/100 staining mouse spinal cord tissue sections by IHC-Fr. The tissue was formaldehyde fixed and blocked with 3% serum prior to incubation with the antibody for 18 hours. A biotinylated horse anti-rat antibody was used as the secondary.
ab7349 staining Myelin Basic Protein in murine cerebral cortex tissue by Immunohistochemistry (Formalin/PFA-fixed paraffin-embedded sections). Tissue was not fixed. Samples were blocked with 2.5% serum for 1 hour followed by incubation with the primary antibody at a 1/200 dilution for 18 hours. A Biotin-conjugated rabbit anti-rat polyclonal was used as the secondary antibody at a 1/500 dilution.
Anti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody  - Oligodendrocyte Marker (ab7349) + Mouse brain tissue lysate
Observed band size : 19,26 kDa (why is the actual band size different from the predicted?)
References for Anti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody  - Oligodendrocyte Marker (ab7349)
This product has been referenced in:
- Yu T & Lieberman AP Npc1 acting in neurons and glia is essential for the formation and maintenance of CNS myelin. PLoS Genet 9:e1003462 (2013). WB ; Mouse . Read more (PubMed: 23593041) »
- Yang N et al. Generation of oligodendroglial cells by direct lineage conversion. Nat Biotechnol 31:434-9 (2013). ICC/IF ; Mouse, Rat . Read more (PubMed: 23584610) »