Anti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody (ab53439)
- Product nameAnti-Myelin Basic Protein antibodySee all Myelin Basic Protein primary antibodies ...
- DescriptionChicken polyclonal to Myelin Basic Protein
- Specificityab53439 recognizes Myelin Basic Protein.
- Tested applicationsICC/IF more details
- Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Human
Synthetic peptide conjugated to KLH with a sequence shared between the human (NP_002376, NCBI) and mouse (NP_034907, NCBI) sequences.
- Positive controlMyelin in cortical white matter from a GFP-expressing transgenic adult mouse.
- Storage instructionsStore at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Aliquot and store at -20°C long term. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
- Storage bufferPreservative: 0.02% Sodium Azide
Constituents: PBS, pH 7.2
- Concentration information loading...
- Clonality Polyclonal
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab53439 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Not yet tested in other applications.
Optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
- FunctionThe classic group of MBP isoforms (isoform 4-isoform 14) are with PLP the most abundant protein components of the myelin membrane in the CNS. They have a role in both its formation and stabilization. The smaller isoforms might have an important role in remyelination of denuded axons in multiple sclerosis. The non-classic group of MBP isoforms (isoform 1-isoform 3/Golli-MBPs) may preferentially have a role in the early developing brain long before myelination, maybe as components of transcriptional complexes, and may also be involved in signaling pathways in T-cells and neural cells. Differential splicing events combined with optional post-translational modifications give a wide spectrum of isomers, with each of them potentially having a specialized function. Induces T-cell proliferation.
- Tissue specificityMBP isoforms are found in both the central and the peripheral nervous system, whereas Golli-MBP isoforms are expressed in fetal thymus, spleen and spinal cord, as well as in cell lines derived from the immune system.
- Involvement in diseaseNote=The reduction in the surface charge of citrullinated and/or methylated MBP could result in a weakened attachment to the myelin membrane. This mechanism could be operative in demyelinating diseases such as chronical multiple sclerosis (MS), and fulminating MS (Marburg disease).
- Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the myelin basic protein family.
- Developmental stageExpression begins abruptly in 14-16 week old fetuses. Even smaller isoforms seem to be produced during embryogenesis; some of these persisting in the adult. Isoform 4 expression is more evident at 16 weeks and its relative proportion declines thereafter.
modificationsSeveral charge isomers of MBP; C1 (the most cationic, least modified, and most abundant form), C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8-A and C8-B (the least cationic form); are produced as a result of optional PTM, such as phosphorylation, deamidation of glutamine or asparagine, arginine citrullination and methylation. C8-A and C8-B contain each two mass isoforms termed C8-A(H), C8-A(L), C8-B(H) and C8-B(L), (H) standing for higher and (L) for lower molecular weight. C3, C4 and C5 are phosphorylated. The ratio of methylated arginine residues decreases during aging, making the protein more cationic.
The N-terminal alanine is acetylated (isoform 3, isoform 4, isoform 5 and isoform 6).
Arg-241 was found to be 6% monomethylated and 60% symmetrically dimethylated.
- Cellular localizationMyelin membrane. Cytoplasmic side of myelin.
- GDB antibodyGolli MBP antibodyGolli MBP; myelin basic protein antibody
- Hemopoietic MBP antibodyHMBPR antibodyHUGO antibodyMBP antibodyMBP_HUMAN antibodyMGC99675 antibodyMLD antibodyMyelin A1 Protein antibodyMyelin basic protein antibodyMyelin Deficient antibodyMyelin Membrane Encephalitogenic Protein antibodyOTTHUMP00000163776 antibodyOTTHUMP00000174387 antibodyOTTHUMP00000174388 antibodySHI antibodyShiverer antibodySP antibody
Anti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody images
ab53439 at 1/100 staining Myelin Basic Protein in myelin (red) in cortical white matter from a GFP-expressing transgenic adult mouse, by Immunofluorescence.
References for Anti-Myelin Basic Protein antibody (ab53439)
ab53439 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.