Thioredoxin (TrxR) Reductase Assay Kit (ab83463)
- Product nameThioredoxin (TrxR) Reductase Assay Kit
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
- Assay typeEnzyme activity
- Assay time0h 40m
- Product overview
Abcam's Thioredoxin Reductase Assay Kit provides a convenient colorimetric assay for detecting TrxR activity in various samples. In the assay TrxR catalyzes the reduction of 5, 5'-dithiobis (2-nitrobenzoic) acid (DTNB) with NADPH to 5-thio-2-nitrobenzoic acid (TNB2-), which generate a strong yellow color (λmax = 412 nm). Since in crude biological samples other enzymes, such as glutathione reductase and glutathione peroxidase, can also reduce DTNB, therefore, TrxR specific inhibitor is utilized to determine TrxR specific activity. Two assays are performed: the first measurement is of the total DTNB reduction by the sample, and the second one is the DTNB reduction by the sample in the presence of the TrxR specific inhibitor. The difference between the two results is the DTNB reduction by TrxR.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Thioredoxin reductase (TrxR) (EC 126.96.36.199) is a ubiquitous enzyme which is involved in many cellular processes such as cell growth, p53 activity, and protection against oxidation stress, etc. The mammalian TrxR reduces thioredoxins as well as non-disulfide substrates such as selenite, lipoic acids, lipid hydroperoxides, and hydrogen peroxide.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests DTNB Red 1 vial NADPH Blue 1 vial TNB Standard Brown 1 vial TrxR Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml TrxR Inhibitor Clear 1 vial TrxR Positive Control Green 1 vial
- Research Areas
- RelevanceThioredoxin reductase (TrxR) (EC 188.8.131.52) is a ubiquitous enzyme which is involved in many cellular processes such as cell growth, p53 activity, and protection against oxidation stress, etc. The mammalian TrxR reduces thioredoxins as well as non-disulfide substrates such as selenite, lipoic acids, lipid hydroperoxides, and hydrogen peroxide.
- Cellular localizationTXNRD1: Cytoplasmic. TXNRD2: Cytoplasmic. Nuclear. Microsome. Endoplasmic reticulum. TXNRD3: Mitochondrial.
- EC 184.108.40.206
- Gene associated with retinoid IFN induced mortality 12 protein
- GRIM 12
- KM 102 derived reductase like factor
- Selenoprotein Z
- Thioredoxin and glutathione reductase
- Thioredoxin glutathione reductase
- Thioredoxin reductase 1
- Thioredoxin reductase 2
- Thioredoxin reductase 3
- Thioredoxin reductase beta
- Thioredoxin reductase GRIM 12
- TR beta
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab83463 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Thioredoxin (TrxR) Reductase Assay Kit images
TNB Standard Curve using ab83463.
Thioredoxin reductase Kinetic Data using ab83463.
References for Thioredoxin (TrxR) Reductase Assay Kit (ab83463)
This product has been referenced in:
- Sampson N et al. ROS Signaling by NOX4 Drives Fibroblast-to-Myofibroblast Differentiation in the Diseased Prostatic Stroma. Mol Endocrinol 25:503-15 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 21273445) »