Total Antioxidant Capacity Assay Kit (ab65329)
- Product nameTotal Antioxidant Capacity Assay Kit
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Assay time2h 00m
- Product overview
Abcam's Total Antioxidant Capacity Assay Kit can measure either the combination of both small molecule antioxidants and proteins or small molecules alone in the presence of our proprietary Protein Mask. Cu2+ ion is converted to Cu+ by both small molecule and protein. The Protein Mask prevents Cu2+ reduction by protein, enabling the analysis of only the small molecule antioxidants. The reduced Cu+ ion is chelated with a colorimetric probe giving a broad absorbance peak around 570 nm, proportional to the total antioxidant capacity.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Antioxidants play an important role in preventing the formation of and scavenging of free radicals and other potentially toxic oxidizing species. There are three categories of antioxidant species: enzyme systems (GSH reductase, catalase, peroxidase, etc.), small molecules (ascorbate, uric acid, GSH, vitamin E, etc.) and proteins (albumin, transferrin, etc.). Different antioxidants vary in their reducing power. Trolox is used to standardize antioxidants, with all other antioxidants being measured in Trolox equivalents. Measurement of the combined non-enzymatic antioxidant capacity of biological fluids and other samples provides an indication of the overall capability to counteract reactive oxygen species (ROS), resist oxidative damage and combat oxidative stress-related diseases. In some cases, the antioxidant contribution of proteins is desired whereas in other cases only the contribution of the small molecule antioxidants is needed.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Assay Diluent WM 1 x 10ml Cu++ Reagent Blue 1 x 0.2ml Protein Mask NM 1 x 10ml Trolox Standard (1 µmole) (Lyophilized) Yellow 1 vial
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab65329 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
References for Total Antioxidant Capacity Assay Kit (ab65329)
This product has been referenced in:
- Enseleit F et al. Effects of Pycnogenol on endothelial function in patients with stable coronary artery disease: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, cross-over study. Eur Heart J : (2012). Functional Studies . Read more (PubMed: 22240497) »
- Lu D et al. Knockdown of cytochrome P450 2E1 inhibits oxidative stress and apoptosis in the cTnT(R141W) dilated cardiomyopathy transgenic mice. Hypertension 60:81-9 (2012). Mouse . Read more (PubMed: 22665122) »