Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab7766)
- Product nameAnti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP GradeSee all Histone H3 (methylated) primary antibodies ...
- DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to Histone H3 (methylated) - ChIP Grade
- Specificityab7766 detects a 17 kDa band in single lane Western Blot. Modification specificity is determined by Peptide Array. ab7766 binds strongly to Histone H3 di methyl K4 to the point of saturation. Partial binding is also observed to Histone H3 mono methyl K4 and tri methyl K4 peptides, which can be reduced with optimisation. Minimal reactivity is observed with unmodified, mono, di or tri methyl K9 or mono, di or tri methyl K27 peptides (please see data below). Peptide inhibition in Western Blot hasn't been processed.
- Tested applicationsChIP, Dot Blot, WB, ChIP/Chip, PepArr, IHC-Fr, ICC/IF, IHC-P more details
- Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Human, Pig, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Tetrahymena sp., Fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster), Schizosaccharomyces pombe, Plasmodium falciparum, Marmoset (common)
Predicted to work with: all Mammals
Synthetic peptide conjugated to KLH derived from within residues 1 - 100 of Human Histone H3, di methylated at K4.
(Peptide available as ab7768.)
- Positive controlCalf Thymus Histone Preparation
- General notes
For detection of Histone H3 specifically methylated at position Lys 4. This antibody was used in a screen by Dover et al, (2002) to isolate yeast mutants that are unable to methylate Lysine 4. In immunofluorescence, this antibody detects foci in the nucleus that are non-colocalising with condensed chromatin. The perinuclear and perinucleolar heterochromatin are not stained with this antibody.
- Storage instructionsStore at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Aliquot and store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
- Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.02% Sodium azide
Note: Batches of this product that have a concentration < 1mg/ml may have BSA added as a stabilising agent. If you would like information about the formulation of a specific lot, please contact our scientific support team who will be happy to help.
- Concentration information loading...
- PurityImmunogen affinity purified
- Primary antibody notes For detection of Histone H3 specifically methylated at position Lys 4. This antibody was used in a screen by Dover et al, (2002) to isolate yeast mutants that are unable to methylate Lysine 4. In immunofluorescence, this antibody detects foci in the nucleus that are non-colocalising with condensed chromatin. The perinuclear and perinucleolar heterochromatin are not stained with this antibody.
- Clonality Polyclonal
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab7766 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|ChIP||ChIP: Use 2 µg for 25 µg of chromatin.|
|Dot Blot||Dot: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|WB||WB: Use a concentration of 1 µg/ml. Detects a band of approximately 17 kDa (predicted molecular weight: 15 kDa).Can be blocked with Histone H3 peptide - di methyl K4 (ab7768).|
|ChIP/Chip||ChIP/Chip: Use at an assay dependent dilution.|
|PepArr||PepArr: Use a concentration of 0.2 - 2 µg/ml.|
- FunctionCore component of nucleosome. Nucleosomes wrap and compact DNA into chromatin, limiting DNA accessibility to the cellular machineries which require DNA as a template. Histones thereby play a central role in transcription regulation, DNA repair, DNA replication and chromosomal stability. DNA accessibility is regulated via a complex set of post-translational modifications of histones, also called histone code, and nucleosome remodeling.
- Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the histone H3 family.
- Developmental stageExpressed during S phase, then expression strongly decreases as cell division slows down during the process of differentiation.
modificationsAcetylation is generally linked to gene activation. Acetylation on Lys-10 (H3K9ac) impairs methylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s). Acetylation on Lys-19 (H3K18ac) and Lys-24 (H3K24ac) favors methylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me).
Citrullination at Arg-9 (H3R8ci) and/or Arg-18 (H3R17ci) by PADI4 impairs methylation and represses transcription.
Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-18 (H3R17me2a) by CARM1 is linked to gene activation. Symmetric dimethylation at Arg-9 (H3R8me2s) by PRMT5 is linked to gene repression. Asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-3 (H3R2me2a) by PRMT6 is linked to gene repression and is mutually exclusive with H3 Lys-5 methylation (H3K4me2 and H3K4me3). H3R2me2a is present at the 3' of genes regardless of their transcription state and is enriched on inactive promoters, while it is absent on active promoters.
Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me), Lys-37 (H3K36me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) are linked to gene activation. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) facilitates subsequent acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-80 (H3K79me) is associated with DNA double-strand break (DSB) responses and is a specific target for TP53BP1. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are linked to gene repression. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) is a specific target for HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) and prevents subsequent phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) and acetylation of H3 and H4. Methylation at Lys-5 (H3K4me) and Lys-80 (H3K79me) require preliminary monoubiquitination of H2B at 'Lys-120'. Methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) and Lys-28 (H3K27me) are enriched in inactive X chromosome chromatin.
Phosphorylated at Thr-4 (H3T3ph) by GSG2/haspin during prophase and dephosphorylated during anaphase. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB is crucial for chromosome condensation and cell-cycle progression during mitosis and meiosis. In addition phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by RPS6KA4 and RPS6KA5 is important during interphase because it enables the transcription of genes following external stimulation, like mitogens, stress, growth factors or UV irradiation and result in the activation of genes, such as c-fos and c-jun. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph), which is linked to gene activation, prevents methylation at Lys-10 (H3K9me) but facilitates acetylation of H3 and H4. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) by AURKB mediates the dissociation of HP1 proteins (CBX1, CBX3 and CBX5) from heterochromatin. Phosphorylation at Ser-11 (H3S10ph) is also an essential regulatory mechanism for neoplastic cell transformation. Phosphorylated at Ser-29 (H3S28ph) by MLTK isoform 1, RPS6KA5 or AURKB during mitosis or upon ultraviolet B irradiation. Phosphorylation at Thr-7 (H3T6ph) by PRKCBB is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that prevents demethylation of Lys-5 (H3K4me) by LSD1/KDM1A. At centromeres, specifically phosphorylated at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) from prophase to early anaphase, by DAPK3 and PKN1. Phosphorylation at Thr-12 (H3T11ph) by PKN1 is a specific tag for epigenetic transcriptional activation that promotes demethylation of Lys-10 (H3K9me) by KDM4C/JMJD2C. Phosphorylation at Tyr-42 (H3Y41ph) by JAK2 promotes exclusion of CBX5 (HP1 alpha) from chromatin.
Monoubiquitinated by RAG1 in lymphoid cells, monoubiquitination is required for V(D)J recombination (By similarity). Ubiquitinated by the CUL4-DDB-RBX1 complex in response to ultraviolet irradiation. This may weaken the interaction between histones and DNA and facilitate DNA accessibility to repair proteins.
- Cellular localizationNucleus. Chromosome.
- Entrez Gene: 8350 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8351 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8352 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8353 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8354 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8355 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8356 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8357 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8358 Human
- Entrez Gene: 8968 Human
- Entrez Gene: 319152 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 319153 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 360198 Mouse
- Entrez Gene: 97908 Mouse
- Omim: 601128 Human
- SwissProt: P02299 Fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster)
- SwissProt: Q93081 Human
- SwissProt: Q16695 Human
- SwissProt: P68431 Human
- SwissProt: P68433 Mouse
- Unigene: 132854 Human
- Unigene: 247813 Human
- Unigene: 247814 Human
- Unigene: 248176 Human
- Unigene: 443021 Human
- Unigene: 484990 Human
- Unigene: 532144 Human
- Unigene: 533292 Human
- Unigene: 546315 Human
- Unigene: 586261 Human
- Unigene: 591778 Human
- Unigene: 221301 Mouse
- Unigene: 261657 Mouse
- Unigene: 377874 Mouse
- Unigene: 390558 Mouse
- Unigene: 397328 Mouse
- FLJ92264 antibodyH3 histone antibodyH3 histone antibody
- H3 histone family, member A antibodyH3/a antibodyH3/b antibodyH3/c antibodyH3/d antibodyh3/f antibodyH3/h antibodyH3/i antibodyH3/j antibodyH3/k antibodyH3/l antibodyH31_HUMAN antibodyH3F1K antibodyH3F3 antibodyH3FA antibodyH3FB antibodyH3FC antibodyH3FD antibodyH3FF antibodyH3FH antibodyH3FI antibodyH3FJ antibodyH3FK antibodyH3FL antibodyHIST1H3A antibodyHIST1H3B antibodyHIST1H3C antibodyHIST1H3D antibodyHIST1H3E antibodyHIST1H3F antibodyHIST1H3G antibodyHIST1H3H antibodyHIST1H3I antibodyHIST1H3J antibodyHIST3H3 antibodyHistone 1, H3a antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3a antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3b antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3c antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3d antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3e antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3f antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3g antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3i antibodyHistone cluster 1, H3j antibodyHistone H 3 antibodyHistone H3.1 antibodyHistone H3.1 antibodyHistone H3/a antibodyHistone H3/b antibodyHistone H3/c antibodyHistone H3/d antibodyHistone H3/f antibodyHistone H3/h antibodyHistone H3/i antibodyHistone H3/j antibodyHistone H3/k antibodyHistone H3/l antibody
Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade images
Chromatin was prepared from HeLa cells according to the Abcam X-ChIP protocol. Cells were fixed with formaldehyde for 10 minutes. The ChIP was performed with 25µg of chromatin, 2µg of ab7766 (blue), and 20µl of Protein A/G sepharose beads. No antibody was added to the beads control (yellow). The immunoprecipitated DNA was quantified by real time PCR (Taqman approach for active and inactive loci, Sybr green approach for heterochromatic loci). Primers and probes are located in the first kb of the transcribed region.
Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab7766) at 1 µg/ml + Calf Thymus Histone Preparation Nuclear Lysate (ab121) at 0.5 µg
Goat polyclonal Secondary Antibody to Rabbit IgG - H&L (HRP), pre-adsorbed (ab97080) at 1/5000 dilution
developed using the ECL technique
Performed under reducing conditions.
Predicted band size : 15 kDa
Observed band size : 17 kDa (why is the actual band size different from the predicted?)
Additional bands at : 14 kDa. We are unsure as to the identity of these extra bands.
Exposure time : 4 minutes
All batches of ab7766 are tested in Peptide Array against peptides to different Histone H3 modifications. Six dilutions of each peptide are printed on to the Peptide Array in triplicate and results are averaged before being plotted on to a graph. Results show strong binding to Histone H3 - di methyl K4 peptide (ab7768), indicating that this antibody specifically recognises the Histone H3 - di methyl K4 modification.
- ab1340 - Histone H3 - mono methyl K4
- ab1342 - Histone H3 - tri methyl K4
- ab1771 - Histone H3 - mono methyl K9
- ab1772 - Histone H3 - di methyl K9
- ab1773 - Histone H3 - tri methyl K9
- ab1780 - Histone H3 - mono methyl K27
- ab1781 - Histone H3 - di methyl K27
- ab1782 - Histone H3 - tri methyl K27
- ab7228 - Histone H3 - unmodified
- ab7768 - Histone H3 - di methyl K4
Predicted band size : 15 kDa
Dimethylated lysine 4 (green) is found in several hundred small nuclear foci that do not colocalize with condensed regions of chromatin (DAPI stained, red). The perinuclear and perinucleolar heterochromatin do not stain with this antibody.
ab7766 at 1/200 staining human U2OS (osteosarcoma) cells by ICC/IF. The cells were paraformaldehyde fixed and then stained with the antibody for 1 hour. A Cy2 ® conjugated donkey anti-rabbit antibody was used as the secondary (green). The image shows uniformal staining of the whole nucleus, with several specles found. The insert shows H3-di methyl K4 of tw2 cells only. DAPI nuclear staining is shown in blue.
IHC-P image of Histone H3 (di methyl K4) staining with ab7766 on human renal cancer tissue sections. The sections were subjected to heat-mediated antigen retrieval using citrate buffer pH6.0. The sections were then blocked with 5% serum for 20 minutes at 20°C, before incubation with ab7766 (1/500 dilution) for 45 minutes at 20°C. The secondary was a HRP conjugated goat anti-rabbit polyclonal, used at a 1/400 dilution.
ICC/IF image of ab7766 stained HeLa cells. The cells were 4% formaldehyde fixed (10 min) and then incubated in 1%BSA / 10% normal goat serum / 0.3M glycine in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 1h to permeabilise the cells and block non-specific protein-protein interactions. The cells were then incubated with the antibody (ab7766, 0.1µg/ml) overnight at +4°C. The secondary antibody (green) was ab96899, DyLight® 488 goat anti-rabbit IgG (H+L) used at a 1/250 dilution for 1h. Alexa Fluor® 594 WGA was used to label plasma membranes (red) at a 1/200 dilution for 1h. DAPI was used to stain the cell nuclei (blue) at a concentration of 1.43µM. This antibody also gave a positive result in 4% formaldehyde fixed (10 min) Hek293, HepG2 and MCF7 cells at 0.1µg/ml, and in 100% methanol fixed (5 min) HeLa, Hek293, HepG2 and MCF7 cells at 0.1µg/ml.
References for Anti-Histone H3 (methylated) antibody - ChIP Grade (ab7766)
This product has been referenced in:
- Schwab KR et al. Arrested spermatogenesis and evidence for DNA damage in PTIP mutant testes. Dev Biol 373:64-71 (2013). Read more (PubMed: 23063797) »
- de Vries M et al. Human male meiotic sex chromosome inactivation. PLoS One 7:e31485 (2012). ICC/IF ; Human . Read more (PubMed: 22355370) »