beta Hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) Assay Kit (ab83390)
- Product namebeta Hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) Assay Kit
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Sensitivity> 0.01 mM
- Range0.01 mM - 0.2 mM
- Assay time0h 40m
- Product overview
Abcam's beta Hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) Assay Kit utilizes beta HB Dehydrogenase to generate a product which reacts with our colorimetric probe with an absorbance band at 450 nm. The kit is an easy and accurate assay to measure beta HB levels in biological samples. The assay is linear for 1-20 nmol beta HB in up to 100 µl samples or 0.01-0.2 mM of beta HB samples
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs when circulating insulin levels drop to very low levels, shutting off the supply of glucose to the body. The physiological response is for the liver to produce ketone bodies (acetoacetate, acetone, and primarily beta-hydroxybutyrate) from the acetyl CoA produced from fatty acid oxidation. The very high rate of ketone body production outstrips the body's ability to utilize them as an energy source and the blood concentration builds up. As rather strong acids, they result in a significant drop in blood pH.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests beta HB Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml beta HB Enzyme Mix (lyophilised) Green 1 vial beta HB Standard (1.0 µmol) (lyophilised) Yellow 1 vial beta HB Substrate mix (lyophilised) Red 1 vial
- Research Areas
- 3 hydroxybutyric acidbeta HBbeta Hydroxybutyric acid
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab83390 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
beta Hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) Assay Kit images
beta HB Standard Curve: Assays were performed following ab83390 kit protocol.
References for beta Hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) Assay Kit (ab83390)
This product has been referenced in:
- van Diepen JA et al. Caspase-1 deficiency in mice reduces intestinal triglyceride absorption and hepatic triglyceride secretion. J Lipid Res 54:448-56 (2013). Read more (PubMed: 23160218) »