- Product nameCamptothecin
- DescriptionDNA topoisomerase inhibitor
- Biological descriptionCell permeable DNA topoisomerase inhibitor. Potent anti-tumour and antibiotic agent.
- Purity> 98%
- Chemical name(S)-4-Ethyl-4-hydroxy-1H-pyrano-[3'4':6,7] indolizino[1,2-b]quinoline-3,14(4H,12H)-dione
- Molecular Weight348.35
- Chemical structure
- Molecular formulaC20H16N2O4
- CAS Number7689-03-4
- PubChem identifier24360
- Storage instructionsStore at +4°C (desiccating conditions).
- Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 5 mM
Providing storage is as stated on the product vial and the vial is kept tightly sealed, the product can be stored for up to 6 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Research Areas
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120115 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||FuncS: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
ab2893 staining γH2AX (phospho S139) in HeLa cells treated with camptothecin (ab120115), by ICC/IF. Increased nuclear expression of γH2AX (phospho S139) correlates with increased concentration of camptothecin, as described in literature.
The cells were incubated at 37°C for 3h in media containing different concentrations of ab120115 (camptothecin) in DMSO, fixed with 4% formaldehyde for 10 minutes at room temperature and blocked with PBS containing 10% goat serum, 0.3 M glycine, 1% BSA and 0.1% tween for 2h at room temperature. Staining of the treated cells with ab2893 (10 µg/ml) was performed overnight at 4°C in PBS containing 1% BSA and 0.1% tween. A DyLight 488 goat anti-rabbit polyclonal antibody (ab96899) at 1/250 dilution was used as the secondary antibody. Nuclei were counterstained with DAPI and are shown in blue.
HeLa cells were incubated at 37°C for 3h with vehicle control (0 µM) and different concentrations of camptothecin (ab120115). Decreased expression of γH2A.X (phospho S139) in HeLa cells correlates with an increase camptothecin concentration, as described in literature.
Whole cell lysates were prepared with RIPA buffer (containing protease inhibitors and sodium orthovanadate), 20µg of each were loaded on the gel and the WB was run under reducing conditions. After transfer the membrane was blocked for an hour using 5% BSA before being incubated with ab2893 at 1 µg/ml and ab10475 at 1 µg/ml overnight at 4°C. Antibody binding was detected using an anti-rabbit antibody conjugated to HRP (ab97051) at 1/10000 dilution and visualised using ECL development solution.
References for Camptothecin (ab120115)
This product has been referenced in:
- Capranico G et al. The effects of camptothecin on RNA polymerase II transcription: roles of DNA topoisomerase I. Biochimie 89:482-9 (2007). Read more (PubMed: 17336444) »
- Li QY et al. Review camptothecin: current perspectives. Curr Med Chem 13:2021-39 (2006). Read more (PubMed: 16842195) »
- Thomas CJ et al. Camptothecin: current perspectives. Bioorg Med Chem 12:1585-604 (2004). Read more (PubMed: 15028252) »