Cathepsin L Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab65306)
- Product nameCathepsin L Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeTissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
- Assay typeEnzyme activity
- Assay time2h 00m
- Product overview
Abcam's Cathepsin L Activity Assay Kit is a fluorescence-based assay that utilizes the preferred cathepsin-L substrate sequence FR labeled with AFC (amino-4-trifluoromethyl coumarin). Cell lysates or other samples that contain cathepsin-L will cleave the synthetic substrate FR-AFC to release free AFC.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Cathepsin L plays a major role in antigen processing, tumor invasion and metastasis, bone resorption, and turnover of intracellular and secreted proteins involved in growth regulation. Although commonly recognized as a lysosomal protease, cathepsin L is also secreted. This broad-spectrum protease is potent in degrading several extracellular proteins (laminins, fibronectin, collagens I and IV, elastin, and other structural proteins of basement membranes) as well as serum proteins and cytoplasmic and nuclear proteins.
If you need additional Ac-FR-AFC substrate (10mM), it is avaible for purchasing as ab157769.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests CL Cell Lysis Buffer WM 1 x 25ml CL Inhibitor (1 mM) Red 1 x 20µl CL Reaction Buffer NM 1 x 5ml CL Substrate Ac-FR-AFC (10 mM) Brown 1 x 200µl
- Research Areas
- RelevanceCathepsin L is a lysosomal cysteine proteinase that plays a major role in intracellular protein catabolism. Its substrates include collagen and elastin, as well as alpha 1 protease inhibitor, a major controlling element of neutrophil elastase activity. Cathepsin L has been implicated in several pathologic processes, including rheumatoid arthritis, muscular dystrophy, Alzheimers, cancer, myofibril necrosis in myopathies and in myocardial ischemia, and in the renal tubular response to proteinuria. Cathepsin L, which is a member of the peptidase C1 family, is a dimer composed of disulfide linked heavy and light chains, both produced from a single protein precursor. At least two transcript variants encoding the same protein have been found for its gene.
- Cellular localizationLysosome
- Cathepsin L1
- Major excreted protein
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab65306 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Cathepsin L Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric) images
Nuclear Cathepsin L activity measured in the arcuate nucleus of: Column 1: wt lean mice, saline injected intraperitoneally; Column 2: wt fasted mice, saline injected intraperitoneally; Column 3: wt fasted mice, leptin injected intraperitoneally (1µg/g total body weight); Column 4: wt lean mice, placed in a 4C cold room for 4h; Column 5: Lepob mice, saline injected intraperitoneally; Column 6: wt lean mice, leptin and Cathepsin L inhibitor I in corn oil injected intraperitoneally (15µg/g total body weight). *,statiscally significant (p<0.01)
Image obtained from Stratigopoulos G et al; JBC, 2011 Jan 21;286(3):2155-70
References for Cathepsin L Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab65306)
This product has been referenced in:
- Hensley HH et al. Combined in vivo molecular and anatomic imaging for detection of ovarian carcinoma-associated protease activity and integrin expression in mice. Neoplasia 14:451-62 (2012). Read more (PubMed: 22787427) »
- Stratigopoulos G et al. Cut-like homeobox 1 (CUX1) regulates expression of the fat mass and obesity-associated and retinitis pigmentosa GTPase regulator-interacting protein-1-like (RPGRIP1L) genes and coordinates leptin receptor signaling. J Biol Chem 286:2155-70 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 21037323) »