HDL and LDL/VLDL Cholesterol Assay Kit (ab65390)
- Product nameHDL and LDL/VLDL Cholesterol Assay KitSee all HDL LDL/VLDL kits ...
- Tests100 x 1 assay
- Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids
- Assay typeQuantitative
- Assay time1h 00m
- Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Rabbit, Human
Predicted to work with: all Mammals
- Product overview
Abcam's HDL and LDL/VLDL Cholesterol Quantification Kit provides a simple quantification method of HDL and LDL/VLDL after a convenient separation of HDL from LDL and VLDL (very low-density lipoprotein) in serum samples. In the assay, cholesterol oxidase specifically recognizes free cholesterol and produces products which react with probe to generate color (570 nm) and fluorescence (Ex/Em = 538/587 nm). Cholesterol esterase hydrolizes cholesteryl ester into free cholesterol, therefore, cholesterol ester and free cholesterol can be detected separately in the presence and absence of cholesterol esterase in the reactions.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Regulation of HDL (high-density-lipoprotein)-cholesterol and LDL (low-density-lipoprotein)-cholesterol plays a central role in various disease developments. It is well known that low levels of HDL and high level of LDL are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events.
If you need to purchase additional HDL precipitation buffer, please see ab105138.
- Tested applicationsFunctional Studies more details
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2X LDL/VLDL Precipitation Buffer NW 1 x 10ml Cholesterol Assay Buffer WM, 1 x 25ml Cholesterol Esterase (Lyophilized) Blue 1 vial Cholesterol Probe (in DMSO, anhydrous) Red 1 x 200µl Cholesterol Standard (2 ug/ul) Yellow 1 x 100µl Enzyme Mix (Lyophilized) Green 1 vial
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Lipid and lipoprotein metabolism
- Cholesterol Metabolism
- RelevanceHDL (high-density-lipoprotein), LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and VLDL (very low-density lipoprotein) are lipoproteins that act as carrier proteins for cholesterol. The regulation of HDL-cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol plays a central role in various disease development. It is well known that low levels of HDL and high level of LDL are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events.
- High density lipoprotein
- Low density lipoprotein
- Very low density lipoprotein
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab65390 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
HDL and LDL/VLDL Cholesterol Assay Kit images
Measurement of total cholesterol, HDL, LDL/VLDL from serum samples. Total Cholesterol (blue), HDL (green), and LDL/VLDL (cream) cholesterol were measured following the kit protocol.
Wild type (WT) or farnesoid X receptor knock-out (FRX-KO) mice were treated with either vehicle (Veh) or a high fat-containing diet (HFD) for 16 weeks.
Serum HDL (top) and LDL/VLDL cholesterol (bottom) from 5-7 mice/group was measured using ab65390 following protocol instructions. An asterisk (*) means P<0.05 between WT ad FXR-KO vehicle group. A pound (#) indicates P<0.05 between WT and FXR-KO HFD group.Image obtained from Li G et al., PLoS One, 2012; 7(4): e35895
References for HDL and LDL/VLDL Cholesterol Assay Kit (ab65390)
This product has been referenced in:
- Hu P et al. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor deficiency causes dysregulated cellular matrix metabolism and age-related macular degeneration-like pathology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:E4069-78 (2013). Functional Studies ; Mouse . Read more (PubMed: 24106308) »
- Shao W et al. Curcumin prevents high fat diet induced insulin resistance and obesity via attenuating lipogenesis in liver and inflammatory pathway in adipocytes. PLoS One 7:e28784 (2012). Functional Studies . Read more (PubMed: 22253696) »