Rabbit Monoclonal Antibodies (RabMAbs®) offer multiple advantages to bring you the highest quality antibody possible.
Rabbit monoclonal antibodies (RabMAbs) combine the superior antigen recognition of a rabbit antibody with the specificity and consistency of a monoclonal. The rabbit immune system generates antibody diversity and optimizes the affinity by mechanisms that are more efficient than those of mice and other rodents. This increases the possibility of obtaining a functional antibody that will work in a variety of applications.
Due to these unique benefits, RabMAbs possess an array of tangible advantages over traditional monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies. With the addition of extensive validation in multiple applications and species, RabMAbs deliver the highest quality antibodies possible, ideal for most demanding applications.
Rabbit monoclonal advantagesexpand all
- 1. Low background
As monoclonals, RabMAbs provide no or low background signals in various applications. As they are more specifically detecting one target epitope, they are less likely to cross-react with other proteins.
Western blot analysis on (A) MCF-7, (B) Ramos, (C) SW480, (D) Molt-4, and (E) Jurkat, and (F) HeLa cell lysates using anti-MCM2 RabMAb (ab108935)
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human colonic adenocarcinoma using anti-c-Myc RabMAb (ab32072)
Immunofluorescent staining of HeLa cells using anti-Phospho-AMPK alpha 1 (pS496) RabMAb (ab92701).
- 2. Ideal for post-translational modification detection
High specificity and novel epitope recognition of rabbit antibodies translates to success with recognition of post-translational modifications such as phosphorylation, methylation, acetylation, sumoylation and other types of modifications. Additionally, many small compounds and peptides do not elicit a good immune response in mice but do so in rabbits. See below for examples of Histone H3 modifications specific RabMAbs.
Western blot analysis on C6 cell lysate using anti-Histone H3 Acetyl-K56 RabMAb (ab76307). Lane (1) untreated; lane (2) treated with TSA
Western blot analysis using anti-Histone H3 Dimethyl (K4) RabMAb (ab32356). Lane (1) Hela cell lysate; lane (2) recombinant Histone H3 (non-methylated)
Western blot analysis on NIH 3T3 cell lysate using anti-Phospho-Histone H3 (pS28) RabMAb (ab32388). Lane (1) untreated; lane (2) treated with FBS and Calyculin A
- 3. Excellent for IHC usage
RabMAbs offer increased sensitivity with no loss of specificity, making them ideal for demanding applications like IHC on FFPE tissues. RabMAbs permit higher working dilutions (5 - 10X on average) and can be used in various tissue fixations such as FFPE at minimal level of pretreatment. Additionally, used along with a mouse monoclonal, one can perform dual staining with two monoclonal antibodies for high quality double staining on the same tissue sample.
3ng / mL
Rabbit Polyclonal Antibody (Vendor A)
20ng / mL
Mouse Monoclonal (Vendor B)
30ng / mL
A comparison of a Her2 RabMAb with leading commercially available Her2 rabbit polyclonal (vendor A) and mouse monoclonal (vendor B) antibodies on FFPE human breast carcinoma tissue. Our recommended IHC protocol and dilution factor were used for each case, the antibody concentrations used are listed below the images for each stain.
- 4. High Affinity
Antibody affinity is typically represented by the equilibrium dissociation constant (KD), a ratio of koff/kon, between the antibody and its antigen, where a lower KD value suggests higher affinity relationship (5). While most therapeutic antibodies have a KD value in the nanomolar range (KD =10-9 M), RabMAbs consistently demonstrate higher affinity, with the KD values which can often reach the picomolar level (10-12 M), effectively eliminating the need for further affinity maturation (6).
1.28 x 10-12
2.82 x 10-12
9.57 x 10-11
1.25 x 10-11
1.99 x 10-10
Marketed Therapeutic mAb
5.0 x 10-9
8.0 x 10-9
1.0 x 10-9
2.0 x 10-10
5.0 x 10-10
Antibody affinity comparison by KD value for various RabMAbs vs. popular therapeutic antibodies
Antibody affinity comparison by KD value for a typical RabMAb vs. traditional mouse monoclonal antibodies.
- 5. High Specificity
RabMAb technology offers a high diversity of B cells and an abundance of splenocytes, which equate to more success in generating antibodies with higher specificity. The example below shows that the Anti-Progesterone RabMAb does not cross-react with closely related analogues of progesterone.
Additionally, a RabMAb’s superior specificity means that you have high quality antibodies which recognize subtle changes in epitopes such as those created upon protein cleavage.
PARP specific RabMAbs
- 6. Diverse/Novel epitope recognition
The rabbit’s lower immune dominance and larger B-cell repertoire result in greater epitope recognition. See below for a comparison of rabbit and murine immune responses which shows that rabbit antisera recognize more epitopes than mouse antibodies in a Western Blot analysis.
Additionally, major relevant human protein targets are highly conserved between mouse and human. Therefore, these proteins tend to be less immunogenic when using mouse or rat as a host. Using a rabbit as a host, with its unique mechanism of immune diversification and affinity maturation, RabMAbs can be produced to a wider range of epitopes, allowing discovery of more novel antibody targets.
- 7. Fully validated in multiple applications
Each RabMAb produced is tested in multiple applications (WB, IHC, ICC/IF, IP and FACS) and multiple species (Human, Mouse and Rat) before release. For IHC, all RabMAbs are tested on FFPE human tissue array for more accurate verification of antibody sensitivity and localization.
Validation data for Caspase-3 (Pro) RabMAb (ab32150) on A) WB on HeLa cell lysate, B) IHC on FFPE cervical carcinoma tissue, C) FACS on Jurkat cells and D) ICC on HeLa cells.
- 8. Ideal for use with mouse samples
With the rabbit as a host, RabMAbs are ideal candidates for developing high quality antibodies to mouse targets. RabMAb technology can produce monoclonal antibodies to mouse targets which have been less immunogenic in mouse or rat. Additionally, with a RabMAb, one can use a monoclonal antibody in mouse model without the issue of non-specific signal due to native mouse Ig cross-reactivity. See below for highlights of RabMAbs tested on FFPE mouse tissue.
Paraffin-embedded mouse intestine using anti-EGFR Phospho (pY1068) RabMAb (ab40815)
Paraffin-embedded mouse smooth muscle using anti-Calponin-1 RabMAb (ab46794)
Paraffin-embedded mouse colon using anti-Cytokeratin-8 RabMAb (ab53280)
- Rabbit monoclonal antibodies: a comparative study between a novel category of immunoreagents and the corresponding mouse monoclonal antibodies . Rossi S, Laurino L, Furlanetto A, Chinellato S, Orvieto E, Canal F, Facchetti F, Dei Tos AP. [Am J Clin Pathol. 2005 Aug;124(2):295-302]
- Rabbit monoclonal antibodies show higher sensitivity than mouse monoclonals for estrogen and progesterone receptor evaluation in breast cancer by immunohistochemistry. Rocha R, Nunes C, Rocha G, Oliveira F, Sanches F, Gobbi H. [Pathol Res Pract, 2008;204(9):655-62. Epub 2008 Jun 18]
- The reliability of rabbit monoclonal antibodies in the immunohistochemical assessment of estrogen receptors, progesterone receptors, and HER2 in human breast carcinomas . Rhodes A, Sarson J, Assam EE, Dean SJ, Cribb EC, Parker A. [Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Oct;134(4):621-32]
- Reassessment of CXCR4 chemokine receptor expression in human normal and neoplastic tissues using the novel rabbit monoclonal antibody UMB-2. Fischer T, Nagel F, Jacobs S, Stumm R, Schulz S. [PLoS One. 2008;3(12):e4069. Epub 2008 Dec 31]
- Applications And Engineering Of Monoclonal Antibodies. David J. King, 2007.
- Anti-peptide antibody screening: Selection of high afﬁnity monoclonal reagents by a reﬁned surface plasmon resonance technique. Pope ME, Soste MV, Eyford BA, Anderson NL, Pearson TW. [J Immunol Methods. 2009 Feb 28;341(1-2):86-96. doi: 10.1016/j.jim.2008.11.004. Epub 2008 Nov 28]