- Product nameZ-VAD(OMe)-FMK
- DescriptionCell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor
- Z-VAD-FMK (cell permeable)
- Biological descriptionA cell-permeable, irreversible, pan-caspase inhibitor. Inhibits caspase processing and apoptosis induction in tumor cells in vitro. Once in the cell, endogenous esterase activity hydrolyzes the methyl groups to form the biologically active form. Therefore, when using with isolated, purified or recombinant caspase enzymes, pre-treatment with an esterase is required.
- Purity> 90%
- Chemical nameN-Benzyloxycarbonyl-Val-Ala-Asp(OMe)-fluoromethyl ketone
- Molecular Weight467.49
- Chemical structure
- Molecular formulaC22H30FN3O7
- CAS Number187389-52-2
- PubChem identifier5497173
- Storage instructionsStore at -20°C (desiccating conditions).
- Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 20 mM
Providing storage is as stated on the product vial and the vial is kept tightly sealed, the product can be stored for up to 6 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one week. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120487 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||FuncS: Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
HeLa cells were incubated at 37°C for 1h with vehicle control (0 µM) and different concentrations of Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK (ab120487). After this incubation 10µM of camptothecin (ab120115) was added to all samples and the cells were incubated for further 24h. Increased expression of full length PARP (ab37722) in camptothecin induced apoptotic HeLA cells correlates with an increase in Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK concentration, as described in literature.
Whole cell lysates were prepared with RIPA buffer (containing protease inhibitors and sodium orthovanadate), 10µg of each were loaded on the gel and the WB was run under reducing conditions. After transfer the membrane was blocked for an hour using 5% BSA before being incubated with ab37722 at 1 µg /ml and ab8227 at 1 µg /ml overnight at 4°C. Antibody binding was detected using an anti-rabbit antibody conjugated to HRP (ab97051) at 1/10000 dilution and visualised using ECL development solution.
References for Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK (ab120487)
This product has been referenced in:
- Saeki K et al. Amyloid precursor protein binding protein Fe65 is cleaved by caspases during DNA damage-induced apoptosis. Biol Pharm Bull 34:290-4 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 21415543) »
- Farber A et al. A specific inhibitor of apoptosis decreases tissue injury after intestinal ischemia-reperfusion in mice. J Vasc Surg 30:752-60 (1999). Read more (PubMed: 10514215) »
- Slee EA et al. Benzyloxycarbonyl-Val-Ala-Asp (OMe) fluoromethylketone (Z-VAD.FMK) inhibits apoptosis by blocking the processing of CPP32. Biochem J 315 ( Pt 1):21-4 (1996). Read more (PubMed: 8670109) »