Key features and details
- GABAA antagonist
- CAS Number: 53552-05-9
- Soluble in water to 100 mM
- Form / State: Lyophilized
- Source: Synthetic
Product name(-)-Bicuculline methochloride, GABAA antagonist
Chemical name[S-(R*,S*)]-5-(6,8-Dihydro-8-oxofuro[3,4-e]-1,3-benzodioxol-6-yl)-5,6,7,8-tetrahydro-6,6-dimethyl-1,3-dioxolo[4,5-g]isoquinolinium chloride
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 100 mM
This product is supplied in one (or more) pack size which is freeze dried. Therefore the contents may not be readily visible, as they can coat the bottom or walls of the vial. Please see our FAQs and information page for more details on handling.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
2D chemical structure image of ab120110, (-)-Bicuculline methochloride, GABAA antagonist
Current clamp recordings demonstrating that the depolarisation of ependymal cells in response to GABA (200 μM) is partially antagonised by bicuculline (ab120110, 100 μM) in a reversible manner.
Group data for responses to GABA alone or in the presence of bicuculline (bic, ab120110) and/or nipecotic acid (NA).
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120110 has been referenced in 17 publications.
- Wu K et al. Activity- and sleep-dependent regulation of tonic inhibition by Shisa7. Cell Rep 34:108899 (2021). PubMed: 33761345
- Iacobucci S et al. The histone demethylase PHF8 regulates astrocyte differentiation and function. Development 148:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34081130
- Sun ZM et al. [Chronic phosphoproteomic in temporal lobe epilepsy mouse models induced by kainic acid]. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 51:197-205 (2019). PubMed: 30996354
- Kikuchi K et al. Involvement of SRF coactivator MKL2 in BDNF-mediated activation of the synaptic activity-responsive element in the Arc gene. J Neurochem 148:204-218 (2019). PubMed: 30244496
- Nagai J et al. Hyperactivity with Disrupted Attention by Activation of an Astrocyte Synaptogenic Cue. Cell 177:1280-1292.e20 (2019). PubMed: 31031006