Product name20(S)-Hydroxycholesterol, Smoothened activator
Allosteric activator of the Hedgehog (Hh) signaling pathway Smoothened (Smo) oncoprotein. Binds at a site distinct from the canonical cyclopamine binding site. Activates Hh signaling (EC50 = ~ 3 μM for induction of Hh reporter gene transcription in NIH 3T3 cells). Also exhibits osteogenic activity and activates the liver X receptor (LXR).
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Nedelcu D et al. Oxysterol binding to the extracellular domain of Smoothened in Hedgehog signaling. Nat Chem Biol 9:557-64 (2013). Read more (PubMed: 23831757) »
- Nachtergaele S et al. Oxysterols are allosteric activators of the oncoprotein Smoothened. Nat Chem Biol 8:211-20 (2012). Read more (PubMed: 22231273) »
- Kim WK et al. Osteogenic oxysterol, 20(S)-hydroxycholesterol, induces notch target gene expression in bone marrow stromal cells. J Bone Miner Res 25:782-95 (2010). Read more (PubMed: 19839776) »
- Kim WK et al. 20(S)-hydroxycholesterol inhibits PPARgamma expression and adipogenic differentiation of bone marrow stromal cells through a hedgehog-dependent mechanism. J Bone Miner Res 22:1711-9 (2007). Read more (PubMed: 17638575) »
- Dwyer JR et al. Oxysterols are novel activators of the hedgehog signaling pathway in pluripotent mesenchymal cells. J Biol Chem 282:8959-68 (2007). Read more (PubMed: 17200122) »