Product name4-Aminopyridine (4-AP), K+ channel blocker
DescriptionK+ channel blocker
Potassium channel blocker. Blocks Kv channels. Convulsant, and useful tool to model epileptiform activity in vitro.
Storage instructionsStore at Room Temperature. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
4-AP-induced LFPs provoke AP firing from SST-interneurons. Representative images of GCaMP3 signal in a visual field containing several SST interneurons before (left) and during (right) LFPP-CA3/DG (induced with 4-AP).
Grosser S et al., PloS one., 9(1): e86250. Fig 3A.; doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0086250
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120122 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Liu BH et al. Cortico-fugal output from visual cortex promotes plasticity of innate motor behaviour. Nature 538:383-387 (2016). PubMed: 27732573
- Grosser S et al. Hilar somatostatin interneurons contribute to synchronized GABA activity in an in vitro epilepsy model. PLoS One 9:e86250 (2014). PubMed: 24465989
- Chiavegato A et al. The inflammatory molecules IL-1ß and HMGB1 can rapidly enhance focal seizure generation in a brain slice model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Front Cell Neurosci 8:155 (2014). PubMed: 24936172
- Arruda-Carvalho M & Clem RL Pathway-selective adjustment of prefrontal-amygdala transmission during fear encoding. J Neurosci 34:15601-9 (2014). PubMed: 25411488
- Cammarota M et al. Fast spiking interneuron control of seizure propagation in a cortical slice model of focal epilepsy. J Physiol 591:807-22 (2013). PubMed: 23207591
- Sasaki T et al. Application of an optogenetic byway for perturbing neuronal activity via glial photostimulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:20720-5 (2012). PubMed: 23185019
- Losi G et al. A new experimental model of focal seizures in the entorhinal cortex. Epilepsia 51:1493-502 (2010). PubMed: 20067512
- Gómez-Gonzalo M et al. An excitatory loop with astrocytes contributes to drive neurons to seizure threshold. PLoS Biol 8:e1000352 (2010). PubMed: 20405049
- Roberts MT & Trussell LO Molecular layer inhibitory interneurons provide feedforward and lateral inhibition in the dorsal cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiol 104:2462-73 (2010). PubMed: 20719922
- Avignone E et al. Status epilepticus induces a particular microglial activation state characterized by enhanced purinergic signaling. J Neurosci 28:9133-44 (2008). PubMed: 18784294