Key features and details
- Mouse monoclonal [5MC-CD] to 5-methylcytosine (5-mC)
- Suitable for: Southern Blot, ICC/IF
- Reacts with: Species independent
- Isotype: IgM
Product nameAnti-5-methylcytosine (5-mC) antibody [5MC-CD]
See all 5-methylcytosine (5-mC) primary antibodies
DescriptionMouse monoclonal [5MC-CD] to 5-methylcytosine (5-mC)
Specificityab73938 reacts with DNA with 5-Methylcytosine (methylated DNA).
Tested applicationsSuitable for: Southern Blot, ICC/IFmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Species independent
Chemical/ Small Molecule corresponding to 5-methylcytosine (5-mC) conjugated to Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA).
- Chlamidomonas me-1 cells.
Reproducibility is key to advancing scientific discovery and accelerating scientists’ next breakthrough.
Abcam is leading the way with our range of recombinant antibodies, knockout-validated antibodies and knockout cell lines, all of which support improved reproducibility.
We are also planning to innovate the way in which we present recommended applications and species on our product datasheets, so that only applications & species that have been tested in our own labs, our suppliers or by selected trusted collaborators are covered by our Abpromise™ guarantee.
In preparation for this, we have started to update the applications & species that this product is Abpromise guaranteed for.
We are also updating the applications & species that this product has been “predicted to work with,” however this information is not covered by our Abpromise guarantee.
Applications & species from publications and Abreviews that have not been tested in our own labs or in those of our suppliers are not covered by the Abpromise guarantee.
Please check that this product meets your needs before purchasing. If you have any questions, special requirements or concerns, please send us an inquiry and/or contact our Support team ahead of purchase. Recommended alternatives for this product can be found below, as well as customer reviews and Q&As.
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Upon delivery aliquot and store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw cycles.
Storage bufferpH: 6
Constituents: 50% Glycerol (glycerin, glycerine), PBS
Concentration information loading...
Purification notesab73938 is purified and filter-sterilised.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab73938 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Immunoblotting - detection of DNA with 5-methylocytosine on nitrocellulose. Use at 1/1000
|ICC/IF||1/50 - 1/100. Recommend fixing in 4% PFA followed by denaturation with 70% formamide in 2x SSC and chilling in 70%, 95%, and 99% EtOH for 2 min each. Diluting antibody in SSC (saline sodium citrate) may give optimal results. See protocols from PubMed: 11983892 and 17994007|
FormThe native context of double-stranded DNA may obstruct antibody binding to 5-methylcytosine. For successful detection of 5-methylcytosine, we recommend that the DNA is denatured to make the nucleotides accessible for the antibody. Denaturing methods vary depending on each application.
- 5 m C antibody
- 5 mC antibody
- 5 me C antibody
Methylation of chloroplast DNA visualized by immunochemistry. Samples are Chlamidomonas me-1 cells. Left: DAPI-stained cells. Middle: Cells stained with ab73938 and FITC-conjugated 2nd antibody. Right: Merged image. Chloroplast DNA is exclusively methylated in gamete cells
ab73938 staining 5-Methyl Cytosine in murine PN5 zygotes by Immunocytochemistry/ Immunofluorescence.
Cells were fixed with methanol/acetic acid (3:1) and blocked with 30% serum for overnight a 4°C. Samples were incubated with primary antibody (1/100 in diluent) for 18 hours at 4°C before detection with a fluorescent secondary antibody.
ab73938 has been referenced in 24 publications.
- Xu W et al. Genome-Wide Transcriptome Landscape of Embryonic Brain-Derived Neural Stem Cells Exposed to Alcohol with Strain-Specific Cross-Examination in BL6 and CD1 Mice. Sci Rep 9:206 (2019). PubMed: 30659253
- Marycz K et al. 5-Azacytidine and Resveratrol Enhance Chondrogenic Differentiation of Metabolic Syndrome-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells by Modulating Autophagy. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019:1523140 (2019). PubMed: 31214275
- Kornicka K et al. 5-Azacytydine and resveratrol reverse senescence and ageing of adipose stem cells via modulation of mitochondrial dynamics and autophagy. J Cell Mol Med 23:237-259 (2019). PubMed: 30370650
- Singh A et al. Determination of the presence of 5-methylcytosine in Paramecium tetraurelia. PLoS One 13:e0206667 (2018). PubMed: 30379964
- Marycz K et al. Combination of resveratrol and 5-azacytydine improves osteogenesis of metabolic syndrome mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Mol Med 22:4771-4793 (2018). PubMed: 29999247