Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr 30 min
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
- Sensitivity: 1 mU/well
Product name6-Phosphofructokinase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeCell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Sensitivity< 1 mU/well
Range2 nmol/well - 10 nmol/well
Assay time1h 30m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
6-Phosphofructokinase Activity Assay kit ab155898 is simple, robust, and rapid and can detect phosphofructokinase activity less than 1 mU.
In the PFK activity assay protocol, PFK (phosphofructokinase) converts fructose-6-phosphate and ATP to fructose-diphosphate and ADP. The ADP in the presence of substrate and enzyme mix is converted to AMP and NADH, which reduces a colorless probe to a colored product with strong absorbance at 450 nm.
PFK activity assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix
- analyze with a microplate reader over 20-60 min
Phosphofructokinase (PFK) is a key glycolytic enzyme and plays a major regulatory role during glycolysis. This enzyme is present in bacteria, plants and animals. There are 2 types of PFKs - PFK1 and PFK2. In the presence of ATP, PFK1 & PFK2 catalyzes the conversion of fructose-6-phosphate to fructose-1,6-diphosphate and fructose-2,6-diphosphate respectively and ADP. PFK has 3 major isoforms in mammals: PFK-M (muscle), PFK-L (liver) and PFK-P (platelet).
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests ATP Orange 1 vial NADH Standard Yellow 1 vial PFK Assay Buffer WM 1 x 27ml PFK Developer Red 1 vial PFK Enzyme Mix Green 1 vial PFK Positive Control Purple 1 vial PFK Substrate Blue 1 vial
ab155898 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Caldwell CC et al. Treadmill exercise rescues mitochondrial function and motor behavior in the CAG140 knock-in mouse model of Huntington's disease. Chem Biol Interact 315:108907 (2019). PubMed: 31778667
- Fujiwara H et al. Mutant IDH1 confers resistance to energy stress in normal biliary cells through PFKP-induced aerobic glycolysis and AMPK activation. Sci Rep 9:18859 (2019). PubMed: 31827136
- Schoenwaelder SM et al. 14-3-3? regulates the mitochondrial respiratory reserve linked to platelet phosphatidylserine exposure and procoagulant function. Nat Commun 7:12862 (2016). PubMed: 27670677