Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 2 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
Product nameTrypsin Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Trypsin kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Range10 mU/well - 100 mU/well
Assay time2h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals
Trypsin Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab102531 is simple and fast assay to quantify trypsin activity.
In the trypsin activity assay protocol, trypsin cleaves a substrate to generate p-nitroaniline (p-NA) which is detected at OD = 405 nm. Since the color intensity is proportional to p-NA content, trypsin activity can be accurately measured.
The trypsin activity assay kit can detect 10-100 mU (p-NA unit) trypsin.
Trypsin activity assay protocol summary:
- add samples, positive control and standards to wells
- add chymotrypsin inhibitor to sample and positive control wells and incubate for 10 min at room temp
- add reaction mix
- analyze every 2-3 min for 1-2 hr with microplate reader in kinetic mode at 25ºC
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K771 Trypsin Activity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K771-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab102531.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2000 tests Chymotrypsin Inhibitor (TPCK,10 mM) White 1 x 100 units 20 x 100 units p-NA Standard (2 mM) Yellow 1 x 400µl 20 x 400µl Positive Control ( lyophilized) Blue 1 vial 20 vials Trypsin Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Trypsin Inhibitor (TLCK, 20 mM) Purple 1 x 100µl 20 x 100µl Trypsin Substrate (in DMSO) Red 1 x 200µl 20 x 200µl
FunctionHas activity against the synthetic substrates Boc-Phe-Ser-Arg-Mec, Boc-Leu-Thr-Arg-Mec, Boc-Gln-Ala-Arg-Mec and Boc-Val-Pro-Arg-Mec. The single-chain form is more active than the two-chain form against all of these substrates.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in PRSS1 are a cause of hereditary pancreatitis (HPC) [MIM:167800]; also known as chronic pancreatitis (CP). HPC is an autosomal dominant disease characterized by the presence of calculi in pancreatic ducts. It causes severe abdominal pain attacks.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the peptidase S1 family.
Contains 1 peptidase S1 domain.
modificationsOccurs in a single-chain form and a two-chain form, produced by proteolytic cleavage after Arg-122.
Cellular localizationSecreted > extracellular space.
- Information by UniProt
- Alpha-trypsin chain 2
- Anionic trypsinogen
- Beta trypsin
p-NA standard curve measured in duplicates ((+/- SD), background subtracted) after 60 minutes incubation.
Example of standard curve obtained using ab102531, following assay protocol. The curve should be used as guideline only.
Trypsin levels were kinetically measured in commercially purchased trypsin (1x); background signal subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
Example of Trypsin sample timeline obtained using ab102531
ab102531 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Gui F et al. Trypsin activity governs increased susceptibility to pancreatitis in mice expressing human PRSS1R122H. J Clin Invest 130:189-202 (2020). PubMed: 31550238
- Asai A et al. Hereditary pancreatitis model by blastocyst complementation in mouse. Oncotarget 11:2061-2073 (2020). PubMed: 32547704
- Huang H et al. Transgenic Expression of PRSS1R122H Sensitizes Mice to Pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 158:1072-1082.e7 (2020). PubMed: 31419436
- Dai E et al. Ferroptotic damage promotes pancreatic tumorigenesis through a TMEM173/STING-dependent DNA sensor pathway. Nat Commun 11:6339 (2020). PubMed: 33311482
- Son A et al. Ca2+ Influx Channel Inhibitor SARAF Protects Mice From Acute Pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 157:1660-1672.e2 (2019). PubMed: 31493399
- Robles L et al. Dimethyl fumarate ameliorates acute pancreatitis in rodent. Pancreas 44:441-7 (2015). PubMed: 25486529
- Xu H et al. Zinc affects the proteolytic stability of Apolipoprotein E in an isoform-dependent way. Neurobiol Dis 81:38-48 (2015). PubMed: 26117305
- Lebleu VS et al. Identification of human epididymis protein-4 as a fibroblast-derived mediator of fibrosis. Nat Med 19:227-31 (2013). Functional Studies . PubMed: 23353556