Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr 10 min
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.001 mM
Product nameAcid Phosphatase Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Acid phosphatase kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Sensitivity> 0.001 mM
Range0.001 mM - 1 mM
Assay time1h 10m
Acid Phosphatase Assay Kit ab83367 is a high sensitivity, simple, direct and HTS-ready colorimetric assay designed to measure acid phosphatase activity in serum and other samples.
The acid phosphatase assay protocol uses p-nitrophenyl phosphate (pNPP) as a phosphatase substrate which turns yellow (absorbance max 405 nm) when dephosphorylated by acid phosphatase.
Acid phosphatase assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add pNPP to samples
- add acid phosphatase enzyme to standards
- incubate for 60 min
- add stop solution
- analyze with microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K411 Acid Phosphatase Activity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K411-500 is the same size as the 500 test size of ab83367.
Acid phosphatases (AP) dephosphorylate phosphate groups from phosphate esters under acid conditions. Different acid phosphatase isozymes are found in different organs, and their serum levels are used as a diagnostic for disease in the corresponding organs. Elevated prostatic acid phosphatase levels may indicate the presence of prostate cancer and elevated tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase levels may indicate the bone disease.
pNPP assays are a class of phosphatase assays using p-nitrophenyl phosphate (pNPP) as a phosphatase substrate. They can be used to measure alkaline phosphatase, neutral phosphatase, and acid phosphatase activity. These different types of phosphatases are active respectively in alkaline, neutral, and acid assay buffers. pNPP assays include Alkaline Phosphatase Assay Kit ab83369 and Acid Phosphatase Assay Kit ab83367.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 500 tests AP Assay buffer NM 1 x 100ml AP Enzyme (Lyophilised) Green 1 vial pNpp Substrate Red 1 vial Stop Solution WM 1 x 10ml
RelevanceAcid phosphatases (AP) dephosphorylate phosphate groups from phosphate esters under acid conditions. Different acid phosphatase isozymes are found in different organs, and their serum levels are used as a diagnostic for disease in the corresponding organs. Elevated prostatic acid phosphatase levels may indicate the presence of prostate cancer and elevated tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase levels may indicate bone disease.
Cellular localizationACP1: Cytoplasm. ACP2: Lysosome membrane; Single-pass membrane protein. ACP5: Lysosome. ACPP: Isoform 1: Secreted. Isoform 2: Lysosome membrane; Single-pass type I membrane protein.
- Acid phosphatase 1 soluble
- Acid phosphatase 2 lysosomal
- Acid phosphatase 5 tartrate resistant
ab83367 has been referenced in 9 publications.
- Yang H et al. NF2 and Canonical Hippo-YAP Pathway Define Distinct Tumor Subsets Characterized by Different Immune Deficiency and Treatment Implications in Human Pleural Mesothelioma. Cancers (Basel) 13:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33805359
- Yang H et al. Pharmaco-transcriptomic correlation analysis reveals novel responsive signatures to HDAC inhibitors and identifies Dasatinib as a synergistic interactor in small-cell lung cancer. EBioMedicine 69:103457 (2021). PubMed: 34224975
- Pastwinska J et al. Hypoxia regulates human mast cell adhesion to fibronectin via the PI3K/AKT signaling pathway. Cell Adh Migr 14:106-117 (2020). PubMed: 32427041
- Yang H et al. Systematic Analysis of Aberrant Biochemical Networks and Potential Drug Vulnerabilities Induced by Tumor Suppressor Loss in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Cancers (Basel) 12:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32824422
- Gesmundo I et al. Proton pump inhibitors promote the growth of androgen-sensitive prostate cancer cells through ErbB2, ERK1/2, PI3K/Akt, GSK-3ß signaling and inhibition of cellular prostatic acid phosphatase. Cancer Lett 449:252-262 (2019). PubMed: 30790678
- Ishii S et al. Identification of a factor controlling lysosomal homeostasis using a novel lysosomal trafficking probe. Sci Rep 9:11635 (2019). PubMed: 31406169
- Yang H et al. HSP90/AXL/eIF4E-regulated unfolded protein response as an acquired vulnerability in drug-resistant KRAS-mutant lung cancer. Oncogenesis 8:45 (2019). PubMed: 31431614
- Samyn DR et al. Key Residues and Phosphate Release Routes in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pho84 Transceptor: THE ROLE OF TYR179 IN FUNCTIONAL REGULATION. J Biol Chem 291:26388-26398 (2016). PubMed: 27875295
- Rhee I et al. Macrophage fusion is controlled by the cytoplasmic protein tyrosine phosphatase PTP-PEST/PTPN12. Mol Cell Biol 33:2458-69 (2013). Functional Studies . PubMed: 23589331