Product nameADP Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric)
See all ADP kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Sensitivity> 1 µM
Assay time1h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
ADP Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) (ab83359) provides a convenient colorimetric and fluorometric method to measure ADP level.
In the ADP assay, ADP is converted to ATP and pyruvate. The generated pyruvate can be quantified by colorimetric (ODmax = 570 nm) or fluorometric method (Ex/Em 535/587 nm).
Conventionally, ADP levels are measured by luciferase/luciferin mediated assays after ADP is converted to ATP. However, the luciferase system is unstable and luminescence equipment is not generally available in most laboratories. In comparison, this assay is simple, sensitive, stable and high-throughput adaptable and can be used with conventional microplate readers.
The ADP assay can detect as low as 1 μM ADP in biological samples.
ADP is a product of ATP de-phosphorylation and it can be rephosphorylated to ATP. De-phosphorylation and re-phosphorylation occur via various phosphatases, phosphorylases and kinases. ADP is stored in platelets and can be released to interact with a variety of purinergic receptors. ADP levels regulate several enzymes involved in intermediary metabolism. ADP conversion to ATP primarily occurs within the mitochondrion and chloroplast although several such processes occur in the cytoplasm.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests ADP Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml ADP Converter (lyophilized) Purple 1 vial ADP Developer Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial ADP Probe (in DMSO) Red 1 x 200µl ADP Standard (1 µmole) (lyophilized) Yellow 1 vial
RelevanceADP (Adenosine diphosphate) is a product of ATP dephosphorylation and it can be rephosphorylated to ATP. Dephosphorylation and rephosphorylation occur via various phosphatases, phosphorylases and kinases. ADP is stored in platelets and can be released to interact with a variety of purinergic receptors. ADP levels regulate several enzymes involved in intermediary metabolism. ADP conversion to ATP primarily occurs within the mitochondrion and chloroplast although several such processes occur in the cytoplasm.
- Adenosine diphosphate
ADP levels measured fluorometrically in cell culture supernatants (background signal subtracted, mean of duplicates; +/- SD).
ADP levels measured fluorometrically in cell lysates (background signal subtracted, mean of duplicates; +/- SD).
APD levels colorimetrically measured in biological fluids (rat plasma and serum, human saliva); background signal subtracted, mean of duplicates; +/- SD.
Colorimetric and Fluorometric examples of ADP Standard curve.
ab83359 has been referenced in 9 publications.
- Mitchell R et al. A Targeted Mutation Disrupting Mitochondrial Complex IV Function in Primary Afferent Neurons Leads to Pain Hypersensitivity Through P2Y1 Receptor Activation. Mol Neurobiol N/A:N/A (2019). PubMed: 30689196
- Cisternas P et al. Presymptomatic Treatment With Andrographolide Improves Brain Metabolic Markers and Cognitive Behavior in a Model of Early-Onset Alzheimer's Disease. Front Cell Neurosci 13:295 (2019). PubMed: 31379502
- Chao CH et al. Dengue virus nonstructural protein 1 activates platelets via Toll-like receptor 4, leading to thrombocytopenia and hemorrhage. PLoS Pathog 15:e1007625 (2019). PubMed: 31009511
- E Silva LFS et al. Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Changes in High-Energy Compounds in Different Cellular Models Associated to Hypoxia: Implication to Schizophrenia. Sci Rep 9:18049 (2019). PubMed: 31792231
- Müller WEG et al. Polyphosphate as a donor of high-energy phosphate for the synthesis of ADP and ATP. J Cell Sci 130:2747-2756 (2017). PubMed: 28687622
- Oliver KH et al. Loss of Serotonin Transporter Function Alters ADP-mediated Glycoprotein aIIbß3 Activation through Dysregulation of the 5-HT2A Receptor. J Biol Chem 291:20210-9 (2016). PubMed: 27422820
- Cisternas P et al. Activation of Wnt Signaling in Cortical Neurons Enhances Glucose Utilization through Glycolysis. J Biol Chem 291:25950-25964 (2016). PubMed: 27703002
- Moerke C et al. Attempted caveolae-mediated phagocytosis of surface-fixed micro-pillars by human osteoblasts. Biomaterials 76:102-14 (2016). PubMed: 26519652
- Mayeur S et al. Maternal calorie restriction modulates placental mitochondrial biogenesis and bioenergetic efficiency: putative involvement in fetoplacental growth defects in rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 304:E14-22 (2013). Functional Studies . PubMed: 23092912