Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Culture Media
- Sensitivity: 0.5 mU/well
Product nameALDH Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Serum, Plasma, Cell Lysate, Tissue Culture Media
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Sensitivity< 0.5 mU/well
Assay time0h 30m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
ALDH Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab155893) is a simple, fast and reliable method to quantify the ALDH enzymatic activity. In this assay, acetaldehyde is oxidized by ALDH generating NADH which then reduces a colorless probe to a colored product with strong absorbance at 450 nm. The assay can detect < 0.5 mU of ALDH activity in a variety of samples.
ALDH assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 20-60 min
- analyze with a microplate reader at 5 min and 20-60 min
The NAD-dependent Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) plays a vital role in cellular detoxification. It oxidizes various aldehydes and generates the corresponding carboxyolic acid. ALDH have been found in every cellular compartment. Based on its structure and function, ALDH comprises 3 major classes in mammals: Class 1 and Class 3 (the tumor form) are located in the cytosol and include both constitutive and induced forms; Class 2 is located in the mitochondria and only exists as the constitutive form. In humans, the ALDH superfamily consists of 19 genes. The mutation of ALDH genes (loss of function) causes human diseases such as Type II hyperprolinemia, pyridoxine-dependent seizure and hyperammonemia. Recent studies show that increased ALDH activity leads to several types of malignancies, serves as a cancer stem cell marker and correlates with poor prognosis.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Acetaldehyde Purple 1 x 0.5ml ALDH Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml ALDH Positive Control Green 1 vial ALDH Substrate Mix Red 1 vial NADH Standard Yellow 1 vial
Standard curve (60 minutes incubation) showing mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted.
Typical OD of the diffrent positive contols mesuared over 1 hour.
ALDH activity measured in human biological fluids (T1=5 min; T2=60 min), showing activity (mU) per mL of tested sample, background signal subtracted.
ab155893 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Ouyang S et al. LncRNA BCAR4, targeting to miR-665/STAT3 signaling, maintains cancer stem cells stemness and promotes tumorigenicity in colorectal cancer. Cancer Cell Int 19:72 (2019). PubMed: 30962766
- De Vitis C et al. B4GALT1 Is a New Candidate to Maintain the Stemness of Lung Cancer Stem Cells. J Clin Med 8:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31717588
- Norona LM et al. Editor's Highlight: Modeling Compound-Induced Fibrogenesis In Vitro Using Three-Dimensional Bioprinted Human Liver Tissues. Toxicol Sci 154:354-367 (2016). Functional Studies . PubMed: 27605418