Product nameAnti-alpha 1 Spectrin antibody [17C7]
See all alpha 1 Spectrin primary antibodies
DescriptionMouse monoclonal [17C7] to alpha 1 Spectrin
Specificityab11751 is developed against the alpha I spectrin SH3 domain. It does not crossreact with alpha II (nonerythroid) spectrin SH3 domain or recombinant human fodrin SH3 domain. In NIH 3T3 cells, ab11751 reacts with a 200 kDa protein which is a candidate marker of endocytic vesicles called macropinosomes.
Tested applicationsSuitable for: ICC/IF, ELISA, WB, IHC-Frmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Recombinant alpha I spectrin (erythroid spectrin) SH3 domain.
- Erythroid spectrin in red blood cells and cerebellum.
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Upon delivery aliquot and store at -20°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycles.
Storage bufferConstituent: PBS
Concentration information loading...
Purification notesPurified from tissue culture supernatant.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab11751 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|ICC/IF||1/100. (See Abreview)|
|ELISA||1/100000 - 1/1e+006.|
|WB||1/100 - 1/2000. Predicted molecular weight: 280 kDa. PubMed: 23780662|
|IHC-Fr||1/10 - 1/50.|
FunctionSpectrin is the major constituent of the cytoskeletal network underlying the erythrocyte plasma membrane. It associates with band 4.1 and actin to form the cytoskeletal superstructure of the erythrocyte plasma membrane.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in SPTA1 are the cause of elliptocytosis type 2 (EL2) [MIM:130600]. EL2 is a Rhesus-unlinked form of hereditary elliptocytosis, a genetically heterogeneous, autosomal dominant hematologic disorder. It is characterized by variable hemolytic anemia and elliptical or oval red cell shape.
Defects in SPTA1 are a cause of hereditary pyropoikilocytosis (HPP) [MIM:266140]. HPP is an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by hemolytic anemia, microspherocytosis, poikilocytosis, and an unusual thermal sensitivity of red cells.
Defects in SPTA1 are the cause of spherocytosis type 3 (SPH3) [MIM:270970]; also known as hereditary spherocytosis type 3 (HS3). Spherocytosis is a hematologic disorder leading to chronic hemolytic anemia and characterized by numerous abnormally shaped erythrocytes which are generally spheroidal. SPH3 is characterized by severe hemolytic anemia. Inheritance is autosomal recessive.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the spectrin family.
Contains 3 EF-hand domains.
Contains 1 SH3 domain.
Contains 21 spectrin repeats.
Cellular localizationCytoplasm > cytoskeleton. Cytoplasm > cell cortex.
- Information by UniProt
- Alpha I spectrin antibody
- EL 2 antibody
- EL2 antibody
ab11751 staining alpha 1 Spectrin in rat artery smooth muscle cells by Immunocytochemistry/ Immunofluorescence
Cells were fixed with paraformaldehyde, permeabilized using Triton X-100 and then incubated with ab11751 used at a 1/100 dilution for 1 hour at 21°C. The secondary used was an Alexa-Fluor 488 conjugated goat anti-mouse monoclonal used at a 1/100 dilution.
Rat artery smooth muscle cells were triple stained for spectrin (green), Actin (red) and DNA blue. The cell in the image is in telophase and spectrin is localized at the midbody.
All lanes : Anti-alpha 1 Spectrin antibody [17C7] (ab11751) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 1 : MW marker
Lane 2 : Human Lung lysate
Lane 3 : Mouse Lung lysate
Lane 4 : Rat Brain lysate
Lane 5 : Human Kidney lysate
Lysates/proteins at 50 µg per lane.
All lanes : HRP labeled goat anti-mouse IgG
Predicted band size: 280 kDa
Central Panel: ab11751 staining alpha 1 Spectrin in human PMN cells by ICC/IF (Immunocytochemistry/immunoflurescence). Cells were fixed with paraformaldehyde and blocked with 2% BSA for 1 hour at 22°C. Samples were incubated with primary antibody 1/100 in blocking buffer for 4 hours at 37°C. An Alexa Fluor® 488-conjugated Goat polyclonal to mouse IgG, dilution 1/250, was used as secondary antibody.
Left-hand panel: Nuclei counterstained with DAPI (blue).
Right-hand panel: Overlay
Anti-alpha 1 Spectrin antibody [17C7] (ab11751) at 1/1000 dilution + Human Platelet whole cell lysate at 25 µg
HRP-conjugated Goat Anti-mouse IgG at 1/10000 dilution
Developed using the ECL technique.
Performed under reducing conditions.
Predicted band size: 280 kDa
Additional bands at: 200 kDa (possible cleavage fragment)
Exposure time: 1 hour
ab11751 has been referenced in 9 publications.
- Wang Y et al. Critical roles of aII spectrin in brain development and epileptic encephalopathy. J Clin Invest 128:760-773 (2018). PubMed: 29337302
- Huang HM et al. Ankyrin-1 Gene Exhibits Allelic Heterogeneity in Conferring Protection Against Malaria. G3 (Bethesda) 7:3133-3144 (2017). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 28751503
- Watermeyer JM et al. A spiral scaffold underlies cytoadherent knobs in Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes. Blood 127:343-51 (2016). PubMed: 26637786
- Gawinecka J et al. Subtype-specific synaptic proteome alterations in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. J Alzheimers Dis 37:51-61 (2013). WB ; Human . PubMed: 23780662
- Moyer JD et al. Tropomodulin 1-null mice have a mild spherocytic elliptocytosis with appearance of Tropomodulin 3 in red blood cells and disruption of the membrane skeleton. Blood 116:2590-9 (2010). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 20585041
- Hsu K et al. Miltenberger blood group antigen type III (Mi.III) enhances the expression of band 3. Blood 114:1919-28 (2009). WB ; Human . PubMed: 19564639
- Bennett PM et al. The transitional junction: a new functional subcellular domain at the intercalated disc. Mol Biol Cell 17:2091-100 (2006). PubMed: 16481394
- Xu J et al. Monoclonal antibodies to alphaI spectrin Src homology 3 domain associate with macropinocytic vesicles in nonerythroid cells. Brain Res 898:171-7 (2001). PubMed: 11292462
- Xu J et al. Human spectrin Src homology 3 domain binding protein 1 regulates macropinocytosis in NIH 3T3 cells. J Cell Sci 113 Pt 21:3805-14 (2000). PubMed: 11034908