Key features and details
- Rabbit polyclonal to alpha 2 Macroglobulin
- Suitable for: WB, IHC-P
- Reacts with: Human
- Isotype: IgG
Product nameAnti-alpha 2 Macroglobulin antibody
See all alpha 2 Macroglobulin primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to alpha 2 Macroglobulin
Tested Applications & Species
Application Species IHC-PHuman WBHuman
Synthetic peptide corresponding to C terminal residues of human alpha 2 Macroglobulin.
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Upon delivery aliquot and store at -20°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycles.
Storage bufferpH: 7.2
Preservative: 0.01% Sodium azide
Constituents: PBS, 50% Glycerol (glycerin, glycerine)
Concentration information loading...
PurityImmunogen affinity purified
Purification notesPurified by antigen specific affinity chromatography.
The Abpromise guarantee
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab58703 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Tested applications are guaranteed to work and covered by our Abpromise guarantee.
Predicted to work for this combination of applications and species but not guaranteed.
Does not work for this combination of applications and species.
IHC-P: Use at a concentration of 2 µg/ml.
WB: Use at an assay dependent concentration. Predicted molecular weight: 163 kDa.
Not yet tested in other applications.
Optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
FunctionIs able to inhibit all four classes of proteinases by a unique 'trapping' mechanism. This protein has a peptide stretch, called the 'bait region' which contains specific cleavage sites for different proteinases. When a proteinase cleaves the bait region, a conformational change is induced in the protein which traps the proteinase. The entrapped enzyme remains active against low molecular weight substrates (activity against high molecular weight substrates is greatly reduced). Following cleavage in the bait region a thioester bond is hydrolyzed and mediates the covalent binding of the protein to the proteinase.
Tissue specificitySecreted in plasma.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the protease inhibitor I39 (alpha-2-macroglobulin) family.
Developmental stageContrary to the rat protein, which is an acute phase protein, this protein is always present at high levels in circulation.
- Information by UniProt
- A2m antibody
- A2MG_HUMAN antibody
- Alpha 2 M antibody
All lanes : Anti-alpha 2 Macroglobulin antibody (ab58703) at 1/1000 dilution
Lanes 1-3 : lysates prepared from rat spinal cord tissues (control group)
Lanes 4-6 : lysates prepared from rat spinal cord tissues (encephalomyelitis group)
Lysates/proteins at 30 µg per lane.
All lanes : goat anti-rabbit IgG coupled to horseradish peroxidase
Predicted band size: 163 kDa
Observed band size: 163 kDa
Additional bands at: 60 kDa (possible cleavage fragment), 80 kDa (possible cleavage fragment)
Three independent control and encephalomyelitis samples were used for Western blotting analysis. Samples were first resolved on a 12.5% SDS-PAGE gel and then transferred to a nitrocellulose membrane. The membrane was rinsed with PBS and the non specific binding sites were blocked in a solution of 5% non-fat milk in PBST (0.05% Tween 20 in PBS) for 1 hour at room temperature, followed by three washes in PBST for 10 minutes each. The membrane was first incubated with ab58703 at a 1/1,000 dilution overnight and then washed in PBST buffer as described above. The immunocomplexes were visualized by Western Lightning® Western Blot Chemiluminescence Reagent Plus, using a goat anti-rabbit IgG coupled to horseradish peroxidase as the secondary antibody.
Ab58703 staining alpha 2 Macroglobulin in human liver.
Left panel: with primary antibody at 2 ug/ml. Right panel: isotype control.
Sections were stained using an automated system DAKO Autostainer Plus , at room temperature. Sections were rehydrated and antigen retrieved with the Dako 3-in-1 antigen retrieval buffers EDTA pH 9.0 in a DAKO PT Link. Slides were peroxidase blocked in 3% H2O2 in methanol for 10 minutes. They were then blocked with Dako Protein block for 10 minutes (containing casein 0.25% in PBS) then incubated with primary antibody for 20 minutes and detected with Dako Envision Flex amplification kit for 30 minutes. Colorimetric detection was completed with diaminobenzidine for 5 minutes. Slides were counterstained with Haematoxylin and coverslipped under DePeX. Please note that for manual staining we recommend to optimize the primary antibody concentration and incubation time (overnight incubation), and amplification may be required.
ab58703 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Liu X et al. MiR-146b accelerates osteoarthritis progression by targeting alpha-2-macroglobulin. Aging (Albany NY) 11:6014-6028 (2019). PubMed: 31422941
- Wang H et al. HuoXueJieDu Formula Alleviates Diabetic Retinopathy in Rats by Inhibiting SOCS3-STAT3 and TIMP1-A2M Pathways. Int J Genomics 2017:4832125 (2017). PubMed: 29318137
- Constantinescu P et al. Amorphous protein aggregates stimulate plasminogen activation, leading to release of cytotoxic fragments that are clients for extracellular chaperones. J Biol Chem 292:14425-14437 (2017). PubMed: 28710283
- Tomazic PV et al. Nasal mucus proteomic changes reflect altered immune responses and epithelial permeability in patients with allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol N/A:N/A (2013). WB ; Human . PubMed: 24290289
- Jain MR et al. Altered proteolytic events in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis discovered by iTRAQ shotgun proteomics analysis of spinal cord. Proteome Sci 7:25 (2009). WB ; Rat . PubMed: 19607715
- Fonseca BM et al. Anandamide-induced cell death: dual effects in primary rat decidual cell cultures. Placenta 30:686-92 (2009). WB, ICC ; Rat . PubMed: 19560819