Product nameAlpha Ketoglutarate (alpha KG) Assay Kit
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Sensitivity= 0.01 nmol/well
Range0.01 nmol/well - 10 nmol/well
Assay time0h 30m
Alpha Ketoglutarate (alpha KG) Assay Kit provides a simple, sensitive and rapid means for quantifying alpha KG.
In the alpha KG assay protocol, alpha-ketoglutarate is transaminated with the generation of pyruvate, which is used to convert a nearly colorless probe to a colored (λmax = 570 nm) and fluorescent (Ex/Em = 535/587 nm) product.
The alpha-Ketoglutarate assay kit can be used to measure alpha-ketoglutarate in the range of 0.01 to 10 nmoles.
Alpha Ketoglutarate assay protocol summary:
- add reaction mix to standard and sample wells
- incubate for 30 min
- analyze with a microplate reader
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests a-KG Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml a-KG Converting Enzyme (lyophilized) Purple 1 vial a-KG Development Enzyme Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial a-KG OxiRed Probe (in DMSO) Red 1 x 200µl a-KG Standard (10 µmol, lyophilized) Yellow 1 vial
RelevanceAlpha ketoglutarate (Alpha-KG) is a key intermediate in the Krebs cycle, coming after isocitrate and before succinyl CoA. Anaplerotic reactions replenish the cycle by synthesizing Alpha-KG from transamination of glutamate, or through the action of glutamate dehydrogenase. Alpha-KG is an important nitrogen transporter. Being a key intermediate, it is one of the organic acids measured in newborns as an indicator of inborn errors of metabolism.
- Alpha KG
ab83431 has been referenced in 14 publications.
- Viscarra JA et al. Histone demethylase JMJD1C is phosphorylated by mTOR to activate de novo lipogenesis. Nat Commun 11:796 (2020). PubMed: 32034158
- Sun C et al. Wild-Type IDH1 and Mutant IDH1 Opposingly Regulate Podoplanin Expression in Glioma. Transl Oncol 13:100758 (2020). PubMed: 32208352
- Zhou J et al. The lysine catabolite saccharopine impairs development by disrupting mitochondrial homeostasis. J Cell Biol 218:580-597 (2019). PubMed: 30573525
- Thaventhiran T et al. CD28 Superagonistic Activation of T Cells Induces a Tumor Cell-Like Metabolic Program. Monoclon Antib Immunodiagn Immunother 38:60-69 (2019). PubMed: 31009338
- Wang J et al. miR-9-5p inhibits pancreatic cancer cell proliferation, invasion and glutamine metabolism by targeting GOT1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 509:241-248 (2019). PubMed: 30591220