Product nameAmylase Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Cell culture media
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Sensitivity> 0.2 mU/well
Assay time0h 40m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Amylase Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab102523 detects activity of α-amylase through a two-step reaction.
In the amylase assay protocol, alpha-Amylase will cleave the substrate ethylidene-pNP-G7 to produce smaller fragments that are eventually modified by alpha-glucosidase. This causes the release of a chromophore that can then be measured at OD = 405 nm.
The assay can detect α-amylase content as low as 0.2 mU.
Amylase assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix
- analyze with a microplate reader every 2-3 min for 30-60 min
Amylases are enzymes that break starch down to sugar molecules. α-amylase is the major form of amylase found in humans and other mammals as well as an enzyme present in seeds, or in fungi (baker's yeast for instance). α-amylase is a calcium metalloenzyme, completely unable to function in the absence of calcium. In human physiology, both the salivary and pancreatic amylases are major digestive enzymes.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Amylase Assay Buffer NM 1 x 55ml Amylase Positive Control Red 1 vial Amylase Substrate Mix NM 1 x 5ml Nitrophenol standard Yellow 1 x 150µl
RelevanceAmylases are enzymes that break starch down to sugar molecules. Alpha-amylase is the major form of amylase found in humans and other mammals as well as an enzyme present in seeds, or in fungi (baker’s yeast for instance). Alpha-amylase is a calcium metalloenzyme, completely unable to function in the absence of calcium. In human physiology, both the salivary and pancreatic amylases are major digestive enzymes. Increased enzyme levels in humans are associated with salivary trauma; mumps due to inflammation of the salivary glands, pancreatitis and renal failure. A simple, direct and automation-ready procedure for measuring alpha-amylase activity is, therefore, very desirable.
Plasma amylase levels were measured (using ab102523) after 75 days treatment with saline or one of three drugs. ND, normal chow diet; HFD, high fat diet. p≤0.05, *; p≤0.01, **, n = 3–7 mice.
There were no statistically significant changes in plasma amylase activity in mice that were administered with two of the drugs vs mice administered saline. However, administration of the third to animals on normal diet led to a 1.4-fold increase in amylase activity (p≤0.01, n = 3 per group) and a 1.3- fold increase in mice on a high fat diet (p≤0.01, n = 4 per group).
Standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted
Amylase activity measured in biological fluids showing activity (mU) per mL of tested sample. Samples were diluted 2 fold.
Amylase activity measured in tissue lysates showing activity (mU) per mg of extracted protein.
Protein concentration for samples varied from 16 mg/mL to 50 mg/mL. Samples were diluted 2 fold.
ab102523 has been referenced in 15 publications.
- Graham GV et al. Glucagon from the phylogenetically ancient paddlefish provides a template for the design of a long-acting peptide with effective anti-diabetic and anti-obesity activities. Eur J Pharmacol 878:173101 (2020). PubMed: 32320703
- Piao X et al. Picroside II Improves Severe Acute Pancreatitis-Induced Intestinal Barrier Injury by Inactivating Oxidative and Inflammatory TLR4-Dependent PI3K/AKT/NF-?B Signaling and Improving Gut Microbiota. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2020:3589497 (2020). PubMed: 32351672
- Murthy P et al. Enhanced Neutrophil Extracellular Trap Formation in Acute Pancreatitis Contributes to Disease Severity and Is Reduced by Chloroquine. Front Immunol 10:28 (2019). PubMed: 30733719
- D'Onofrio N et al. Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Buffalo Milk d-Valerobetaine. J Agric Food Chem 67:1702-1710 (2019). PubMed: 30661355
- Sun S et al. The orphan nuclear receptor SHP regulates ER stress response by inhibiting XBP1s degradation. Genes Dev 33:1083-1094 (2019). PubMed: 31296559