Product nameAnnexin V-FITC Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit
See all Annexin V/ANXA5 kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time0h 10m
Annexin V-FITC Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit ab14085 is used in a 10 min, one-step staining procedure to detect apoptosis by staining phosphatidylserine molecules which have translocated to the outside of the cell membrane. Analysis is by flow cytometry or fluorescence microscopy.
The kit can differentiate apoptosis vs necrosis when performing both Annexin V-FITC and PI staining.
The Annexin V-FITC reagent contained in the kit is also available as Annexin V-FITC reagent ab14082.
Soon after initiating apoptosis, cells translocate membrane phosphatidylserine molecules from the inner face of the plasma membrane to the cell surface. Phosphatidylserine on the cell surface is detected by staining with a fluorescent conjugate of Annexin V, a protein that has a high affinity for phosphatidylserine.
PlatformFlow cytometer, Fluorescence microscope
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Annexin V-FITC 1 x 500µl Binding Buffer 1 x 50ml Propidium iodide 1 x 500µl
FunctionThis protein is an anticoagulant protein that acts as an indirect inhibitor of the thromboplastin-specific complex, which is involved in the blood coagulation cascade.
Involvement in diseasePregnancy loss, recurrent, 3
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the annexin family.
Contains 4 annexin repeats.
DomainThe [IL]-x-C-x-x-[DE] motif is a proposed target motif for cysteine S-nitrosylation mediated by the iNOS-S100A8/A9 transnitrosylase complex.
A pair of annexin repeats may form one binding site for calcium and phospholipid.
modificationsS-nitrosylation is induced by interferon-gamma and oxidatively-modified low-densitity lipoprotein (LDL(ox)) possibly implicating the iNOS-S100A8/9 transnitrosylase complex.
- Information by UniProt
- Anchorin CII
- Annexin 5
- Annexin A5
- FCCP, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler (ab120081)
- Cycloheximide, Protein synthesis inhibitor (ab120093)
- SB431542, ALK inhibitor (ab120163)
- Z-VAD(OH)-FMK, Irreversible general caspase inhibitor (ab120382)
- Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK, Cell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor (ab120487)
- Dorsomorphin (Compound C), AMP-kinase inhibitor (ab120843)
- Anti-Cytochrome C antibody [7H8.2C12] (ab13575)
- Annexin V/ANXA5-FITC Apoptosis Detection Reagent (500X) (ab14082)
- Propidium Iodide (ab14083)
- 10X Annexin V/ANXA5 Binding Buffer (ab14084)
- Annexin V-Cy3 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14142)
- Calcein AM, fluorescent dye for cell viability (ab141420)
- Annexin V/ANXA5-Cy3 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14143)
- Annexin V-Cy3 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit with SYTOX (ab14144)
- Annexin V/ANXA5-Cy5 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14147)
- Annexin V-Cy5 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14150)
- Annexin V-EGFP Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14153)
- Annexin V/ANXA5-PE Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14154)
- Annexin V-PE Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14155)
- Annexin V-PE-Cy5 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14159)
- Annexin V/ANXA5-Biotin Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14165)
Ab14085 was used to determine minor levels of apoptosis (using both the Annexin V-FITC and PI) in mouse cortical collecting duct cellss (mCCDs). mCCD cells were incubated with serum free medium for 48h. The green label on the plasma membrane (Annexin V-FITC) and the absence of nuclear red (PI) staining indicates apoptosis rather than necrosis. Fluorescent microsocpy ws used to analyse the cells.
HeLa cells were harvested with trypsinization together with floating non-viable cells. Cells were washed with PBS and suspended in sodium citrate buffer 20 minutes prior to analysis. HeLa cells were treated with Mitoxantrone (MX) and MX +Imatinib for 48 hours. The samples were then stained with Annexin V-FITC Apoptosis Staining/Detection kit (ab14085). A FACSCalibur flow cytometer was used for cell cycle analysis.
This is a modified version of the original image
PC3 cells were seeded at 106 cells/ml and incubated overnight and then treated with CTA095 at various concentrations for 24hours. Apoptosis was then analyzed using Annexin-V FITC apoptosis detection kit (ab14085).
This is a modified version of the original image
Annexin V-FITC/ PI staining of AG06173 primary fibroblasts.
105 cells were used for analysis. Resuspended cells were incubated with Annexin V-FITC for 15 min in the dark. Propidium iodide was used as a counterstain to discriminate necrotic/ dead cells from apoptotic cells. Left: negative control - AG6173 untreated cells. Right: positive control - AG6173 cells irradiated at 10 Gy.
Image courtesy of S. Khoronenkova PhD, Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
This product has been referenced in:
- Sun WL et al. Long noncoding RNA OIP5-AS1 targets Wnt-7b to affect glioma progression via modulation of miR-410. Biosci Rep 39:N/A (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30498093) »
- Miroshnichenko SK et al. Mesyl phosphoramidate antisense oligonucleotides as an alternative to phosphorothioates with improved biochemical and biological properties. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 116:1229-1234 (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30622178) »