Key features and details
- Antibiotic; induces apoptosis
- CAS Number: 1397-94-0
- Purity: > 95%
- Soluble in ethanol to 100 mM and in DMSO to 100 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Streptomyces sp.
Product nameAntimycin A, Antibiotic
DescriptionAntibiotic; induces apoptosis
Biological descriptionAntibiotic. Induces apoptosis and inhibits mitochondrial electron transport specifically between cytochromes b and c1.
Chemical name[(2R,3S,6S,7R,8R)-3-[(3-Formamido-2-hydroxybenzoyl)amino]-8-hexyl-2,6-dimethyl-4,9-dioxo-1,5-dioxonan-7-yl] 3-methylbutanoate (for Antimycin A1: R = C6H13)
Molecular formulaC28H40N2O9 (for Antimycin A1, R = C6H13)
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in ethanol to 100 mM and in DMSO to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab141904 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Ge Y et al. Mbd2 Mediates Retinal Cell Apoptosis by Targeting the lncRNA Mbd2-AL1/miR-188-3p/Traf3 Axis in Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury. Mol Ther Nucleic Acids 19:1250-1265 (2020). PubMed: 32074940
- Yu HF et al. HB-EGF Ameliorates Oxidative Stress-Mediated Uterine Decidualization Damage. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019:6170936 (2019). PubMed: 31885807
- Rajamani U et al. Super-Obese Patient-Derived iPSC Hypothalamic Neurons Exhibit Obesogenic Signatures and Hormone Responses. Cell Stem Cell 22:698-712.e9 (2018). PubMed: 29681516
- Arnandis T et al. Oxidative Stress in Cells with Extra Centrosomes Drives Non-Cell-Autonomous Invasion. Dev Cell 47:409-424.e9 (2018). PubMed: 30458137
- Li G et al. PTENa regulates mitophagy and maintains mitochondrial quality control. Autophagy 14:1742-1760 (2018). PubMed: 29969932
- Okamoto A et al. The antioxidant N-acetyl cysteine suppresses lidocaine-induced intracellular reactive oxygen species production and cell death in neuronal SH-SY5Y cells. BMC Anesthesiol 16:104 (2016). PubMed: 27776485