Product nameApoptosis DNA Ladder Assay Kit
See all DNA fragmentation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time1h 30m
Apoptosis DNA Ladder Assay Kit (ab66090) provides an easy and sensitive solution for detecting DNA fragmentation in apoptotic cells. It can isolate small fragmented DNA from cells in only 90 minutes. No DNA extraction or additional columns required.
Apoptosis DNA ladder assay protocol summary:
- pellet cells by spinning
- wash cells with PBS and spinning
- lyse cells with TE lysis buffer and pipetting
- add enzyme A solution and incubate for 10 min
- add enzyme B solution and incubate for 30 min
- add ammonium acetate solution, isopropanol and freeze for 10 min
- spin to preciptate DNA
- wash pellet with 70% ethanol, air-dry and dissolve in DNA suspension buffer
- run on agarose gel and visualize with DNA staining dye
This product was previously called Apoptotic DNA Ladder Detection Kit.
For more apoptosis assays, review the apoptosis assay and apoptosis marker guide.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 50 tests Ammonium Acetate Solution Yellow 1 x 250µl DNA Suspension Buffer Green 1 x 1.5ml Enzyme A Solution Blue 1 x 250µl Enzyme B (Lyophilized) Red 1 vial TE Lysis Buffer Purple 1 x 1.8ml
RelevanceInternucleosomal DNA fragmentation is a hallmark of apoptosis in mammalian cells.
- FCCP, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler (ab120081)
- Cycloheximide, Protein synthesis inhibitor (ab120093)
- SB431542, ALK inhibitor (ab120163)
- Z-VAD(OH)-FMK, Irreversible general caspase inhibitor (ab120382)
- Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK, Cell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor (ab120487)
- Doxorubicin hydrochloride, Topoisomerase II inhibitor (ab120629)
- Dorsomorphin (Compound C), AMP-kinase inhibitor (ab120843)
- Calcein AM, fluorescent dye for cell viability (ab141420)
Apoptosis was induced in 10e6 Jurkat cells by treatment with 10 μM Camptothecin (CPT) (ab120115) for 4 hours (2, 5) or 2 μM CPT for 24 hours (3, 6) whilst control cells were kept without treatment (1, 4). DNA was extracted and resuspended in 60 uL resuspension buffer. 10 uL (1-3) or 40 uL (4-6) were loaded onto the agarose gel.
This product has been referenced in:
- Li X et al. The Specific Inhibition of SOD1 Selectively Promotes Apoptosis of Cancer Cells via Regulation of the ROS Signaling Network. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019:9706792 (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30911355) »
- Park E et al. Ethanol Extract of Evodia rutaecarpa Attenuates Cell Growth through Caspase-Dependent Apoptosis in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia-1 Cells. Nutrients 10:N/A (2018). Read more (PubMed: 29690562) »