Key features and details
- Assay type: Direct
- Assay time: 1 hr 30 min
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameApoptosis DNA Ladder Assay Kit
See all DNA fragmentation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time1h 30m
Apoptosis DNA Ladder Assay Kit (ab66090) provides an easy and sensitive solution for detecting DNA fragmentation in apoptotic cells. It can isolate small fragmented DNA from cells in only 90 minutes. No DNA extraction or additional columns required.
Apoptosis DNA ladder assay protocol summary:
- pellet cells by spinning
- wash cells with PBS and spinning
- lyse cells with TE lysis buffer and pipetting
- add enzyme A solution and incubate for 10 min
- add enzyme B solution and incubate for 30 min
- add ammonium acetate solution, isopropanol and freeze for 10 min
- spin to preciptate DNA
- wash pellet with 70% ethanol, air-dry and dissolve in DNA suspension buffer
- run on agarose gel and visualize with DNA staining dye
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K120 Quick Apoptotic DNA Ladder Detection Kit. K120-50 is the same size as the 50 test size of ab66090.
For more apoptosis assays, review the apoptosis assay and apoptosis marker guide.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 50 tests Ammonium Acetate Solution Yellow 1 x 250µl DNA Suspension Buffer Green 1 x 1.5ml Enzyme A Solution Blue 1 x 250µl Enzyme B (Lyophilized) Red 1 vial TE Lysis Buffer Purple 1 x 1.8ml
RelevanceInternucleosomal DNA fragmentation is a hallmark of apoptosis in mammalian cells.
- FCCP, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler (ab120081)
- Cycloheximide, Protein synthesis inhibitor (ab120093)
- SB431542, ALK inhibitor (ab120163)
- Z-VAD(OH)-FMK, Irreversible general caspase inhibitor (ab120382)
- Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK, Cell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor (ab120487)
- Doxorubicin hydrochloride, Topoisomerase II inhibitor (ab120629)
- Dorsomorphin (Compound C), AMP-kinase inhibitor (ab120843)
- Calcein AM, fluorescent dye for cell viability (ab141420)
Apoptosis was induced in 10e6 Jurkat cells by treatment with 10 μM Camptothecin (CPT) (ab120115) for 4 hours (2, 5) or 2 μM CPT for 24 hours (3, 6) whilst control cells were kept without treatment (1, 4). DNA was extracted and resuspended in 60 uL resuspension buffer. 10 uL (1-3) or 40 uL (4-6) were loaded onto the agarose gel.
ab66090 has been referenced in 7 publications.
- Anandan V et al. Cyclophilin A induces macrophage apoptosis and enhances atherosclerotic lesions in high-fat diet-fed hyperglycemic rabbits. FASEB Bioadv 3:305-322 (2021). PubMed: 33977232
- Colapietro A et al. The Botanical Drug PBI-05204, a Supercritical CO2 Extract of Nerium Oleander, Inhibits Growth of Human Glioblastoma, Reduces Akt/mTOR Activities, and Modulates GSC Cell-Renewal Properties. Front Pharmacol 11:552428 (2020). PubMed: 33013390
- Li X et al. The Specific Inhibition of SOD1 Selectively Promotes Apoptosis of Cancer Cells via Regulation of the ROS Signaling Network. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019:9706792 (2019). PubMed: 30911355
- Pan X et al. Physcion Synergistically Enhances the Cytotoxicity of Sorafenib in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 302:2171-2177 (2019). PubMed: 31120198
- Park E et al. Ethanol Extract of Evodia rutaecarpa Attenuates Cell Growth through Caspase-Dependent Apoptosis in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia-1 Cells. Nutrients 10:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29690562
- Locatelli M et al. Investigations into the therapeutic potential of Asphodeline liburnica roots: In vitro and in silico biochemical and toxicological perspectives. Food Chem Toxicol 120:172-182 (2018). PubMed: 30008431
- Inoue M et al. Japanese apricot extract (MK615) potentiates bendamustine-induced apoptosis via impairment of the DNA damage response in lymphoma cells. Oncol Lett 14:792-800 (2017). PubMed: 28693235