Key features and details
- ω-6 Polyunsaturated fatty acid, precursor of eicosanoids
- CAS Number: 506-32-1
- Purity: > 98%
- Supplied in ethanol (250 mg/ml)
- Form / State: Liquid
Product nameArachidonic acid, omega-6 Polyunsaturated fatty acid
Descriptionω-6 Polyunsaturated fatty acid, precursor of eicosanoids
Biological descriptionMajor precursor in the production of eicosanoids and important cellular signaling mediator. Endogenous free fatty acid released from phospholipids by PLA2. Metabolised by COX, lipoxygenase and cytochrome p450s to form a variety of eicosanoids including PGs and LTs.
Chemical name5Z,8Z,11Z,14Z-Eicosatetraenoic acid
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C (desiccating conditions).
Solubility overviewSupplied in ethanol (250 mg/ml)
Providing storage is as stated on the product vial and the vial is kept tightly sealed, the product can be stored for up to 6 months. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120916 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Ye Z et al. Arachidonic acid-regulated calcium signaling in T cells from patients with rheumatoid arthritis promotes synovial inflammation. Nat Commun 12:907 (2021). PubMed: 33568645
- Cantonero C et al. Arachidonic Acid Attenuates Cell Proliferation, Migration and Viability by a Mechanism Independent on Calcium Entry. Int J Mol Sci 21:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32392840
- Díaz-Viraqué F et al. Old Yellow Enzyme from Trypanosoma cruzi Exhibits In Vivo Prostaglandin F2a Synthase Activity and Has a Key Role in Parasite Infection and Drug Susceptibility. Front Immunol 9:456 (2018). PubMed: 29563916