Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 10 mU/well
Product nameAspartate Aminotransferase Activity Assay Kit
See all Aspartate Aminotransferase kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time1h 00m
Aspartate Aminotransferase Activity Assay Kit (AST assay kit) ab105135 provides a rapid, simple, sensitive and reliable assay for AST activity.
In the AST assay protocol, an amino group is transferred from aspartate to alpha-ketoglutarate. The products of this reversible transamination reaction are oxaloacetate and glutamate. The glutamate is detected in a reaction that converts a nearly colorless probe to color (λmax = 450 nm).
The AST assay has a detection limit of 10 mU per well.
AST assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix
- incubate at 37ºC and analyze with microplate reader after 10 mins and then again after 60 mins
Chinese protocol available. See protocols section below.
Aspartate aminotransferase (AST), also known as Aspartate transaminase and Glutamate-oxaloacetate transaminase (GOT), is a transaminase (EC 18.104.22.168) similar to the more liver specific alanine transaminase (ALT). Although commonly included clinically as part of a diagnostic liver function test, AST has a broader clinical utility since it may also be elevated in diseases affecting other organs, such as the heart or muscles in myocardial infarction, also in acute pancreatitis, acute hemolytic anemia, severe burns, acute renal disease, musculoskeletal diseases and trauma. It catalyzes the reaction: Aspartate + alpha-Ketoglutarate = Oxaloacetate + Glutamate Diagnostically, it is almost always measured in units/liter (U/L).
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml Developer Red 1 vial Enzyme Mix Green 1 vial Glutamate Standard (0.1M) Yellow 1 x 0.1ml Positive Control Blue 1 vial Substrate Orange 1 vial
FunctionPlays a key role in amino acid metabolism.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the class-I pyridoxal-phosphate-dependent aminotransferase family.
- Information by UniProt
- Aspartate aminotransferase
- Aspartate aminotransferase 1
AST activity measured in mouse tissue lysates showing activity (mU) per mg of extracted protein (T1 = 2 min; T2 = 60 min).
AST activity measured in human biological fluids showing activity (mU) per mL of tested sample, (T1 = 2 min; T2 = 60 min) with background signals subtracted.
Serum aspartate transaminase (AST) levels were measured using ab105135 and alanine transaminase (ALT) levels were measured using ab105134. Both levels were measured at various time periods post Con A injection. Mean values ± SD are shown (n = 4). ∗P < 0.05 and ∗∗P < 0.01.
AST activity measured in cell lysates (T1 = 2 min; T2 = 60 min; duplicates (+/- SD), background signal subtracted).
AST activity measured in cell culture medium and control medium, background signal subtracted. T1 = 2 min; T2 = 60 min.
Standard curve (60 minutes incubation): mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted.
Example of Standard Curve and Positive control detection using ab105135.
ab105135 has been referenced in 15 publications.
- Wei L et al. Dual-responsive, Methotrexate-loaded, Ascorbic acid-derived Micelles Exert Anti-tumor and Anti-metastatic Effects by Inhibiting NF-?B Signaling in an Orthotopic Mouse Model of Human Choriocarcinoma. Theranostics 9:4354-4374 (2019). PubMed: 31285766
- Xu J et al. Precise targeting of POLR2A as a therapeutic strategy for human triple negative breast cancer. Nat Nanotechnol 14:388-397 (2019). PubMed: 30804480
- Chen H et al. Hemophilia A ameliorated in mice by CRISPR-based in vivo genome editing of human Factor VIII. Sci Rep 9:16838 (2019). PubMed: 31727959
- Cho E et al. Preclinical safety evaluation of hepatic arterial infusion of oncolytic poxvirus. Drug Des Devel Ther 12:2467-2474 (2018). PubMed: 30122903
- da Silva-Candal A et al. Clinical validation of blood/brain glutamate grabbing in acute ischemic stroke. Ann Neurol 84:260-273 (2018). PubMed: 30014516