Product nameBAPTA-AM, Ca2+ chelator
DescriptionSelective Ca2+ chelator. Analog of BAPTA.
Biological descriptionSelective Ca2+ chelator. Cell-permeable analog of BAPTA (ab120449). Useful for manipulation of intracellular free Ca2+ levels. Shows varied biological activity. Blocks hKv1.5, Kv11.1 (hERG) and hKv1.3 channels (Ki values are 1.23, 1.30 and 1.45 μM, respectively).
Chemical name1,2-Bis(2-aminophenoxy)ethane-N,N,N',N'-tetraacetic acid tetrakis(acetoxymethyl ester)
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Refer to SDS for further information.
For more information on AM esters please visit our AM esters FAQ page.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
- Research Area
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Ca2+ signaling
- Ionophores, Indicators & Chelators
- Calcium Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab102505)
- Calcium Assay Kit (Luminometric) (ab112114)
- Calcium Assay kit (Fluorometric) (ab112115)
- Fluo-8 Calcium Assay Kit - Medium Removal (ab112128)
- Fluo-8 Calcium Flux Assay Kit - No Wash (ab112129)
- Rhod-4 Calcium Assay kit - Medium Removal No Wash (ab112156)
- Rhod-4 Calcium Assay Kit - No Wash (ab112157)
ab66705 staining PAI1 in HepG2 cells treated with BAPTA-AM (ab120503), by ICC/IF. Increase in PAI1 expression correlates with increased concentration of BAPTA-AM, as described in literature.
The cells were incubated at 37°C for 4 hours in media containing different concentrations of ab120503 (BAPTA-AM) in DMSO, fixed with 100% methanol for 5 minutes at -20°C and blocked with PBS containing 10% goat serum, 0.3 M glycine, 1% BSA and 0.1% tween for 2h at room temperature. Staining of the treated cells with ab66705 (5 µg/ml) was performed overnight at 4°C in PBS containing 1% BSA and 0.1% tween. A DyLight 488 goat anti-rabbit polyclonal antibody (ab96899) at 1/250 dilution was used as the secondary antibody. Nuclei were counterstained with DAPI and are shown in blue.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120503 has been referenced in 13 publications.
- Ikeda S et al. Blockade of L-type Ca2+ channel attenuates doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy via suppression of CaMKII-NF-?B pathway. Sci Rep 9:9850 (2019). PubMed: 31285514
- Ohata H et al. NOX1-Dependent mTORC1 Activation via S100A9 Oxidation in Cancer Stem-like Cells Leads to Colon Cancer Progression. Cell Rep 28:1282-1295.e8 (2019). PubMed: 31365870
- Vick P et al. An Early Function of Polycystin-2 for Left-Right Organizer Induction in Xenopus. iScience 2:76-85 (2018). PubMed: 30428378
- Lim JH et al. Cinacalcet-mediated activation of the CaMKKß-LKB1-AMPK pathway attenuates diabetic nephropathy in db/db mice by modulation of apoptosis and autophagy. Cell Death Dis 9:270 (2018). PubMed: 29449563
- Li A et al. Canonical Wnt inhibitors ameliorate cystogenesis in a mouse ortholog of human ADPKD. JCI Insight 3:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29515026