Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay time: 1 hr 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts
- Sensitivity: 0.5 µg
Product nameBCA Protein Assay Kit
See all BCA Protein kits
Sample typeSerum, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Tissue Extracts
Sensitivity> 0.5 µg
Range0.5 µg - 30 µg
Assay time1h 30m
BCA Protein Assay Kit ab102536 provides a simple, rapid, detergent tolerant (up to 5%) procedure for determining the concentration of proteins in solution.
The method utilizes a copper (Cu2+) salt which can be reduced to the cuprous state by protein(s).
The generated Cu2+ ion forms an intensely colored complex with the bicinchoninic acid reagent with a very strong absorbance band centered at 562 nm.
The intensity of the blue complex is proportional to the amount of protein in the sample. The BCA Protein Assay is suitable for measuring protein concentration in the range of 0.5-30 µg protein (0.01-0.6 mg/ml).
Support on how to determine protein concentration can be found here.
This kit was previously called BCA Protein Quantification Kit.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 1000 tests BCA Reagent NM 1 x 100ml BSA Standard Yellow 1 x 1ml Copper Reagent Blue 1 x 2ml
RelevanceThe BCA Protein assay (or Smith assay) is a biochemical assay for determining the total level of protein in a solution. The total protein concentration is determined by measuring the color change of the sample solution from green to purple which is proportional to the protein concentration.
- Bicinchoninic acid
- Bicinchoninic acid protein
ab102536 has been referenced in 46 publications.
- Long C et al. FOXO3 is targeted by miR-223-3p and promotes osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells by enhancing autophagy. Hum Cell 34:14-27 (2021). PubMed: 32920731
- Wang H et al. Curcumin Modifies Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Colorectal Cancer Through Regulation of miR-200c/EPM5. Cancer Manag Res 12:9405-9415 (2020). PubMed: 33061628
- Ravi V et al. Measuring Protein Synthesis in Cultured Cells and Mouse Tissues Using the Non-radioactive SUnSET Assay. Curr Protoc Mol Biol 133:e127 (2020). PubMed: 33217166
- Li J et al. Porcupine Inhibitor LGK974 Downregulates the Wnt Signaling Pathway and Inhibits Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. Biomed Res Int 2020:2527643 (2020). PubMed: 32104684
- Chen S et al. Ginsenoside metabolite 20(S)-protopanaxadiol promotes neural stem cell transition from a state of proliferation to differentiation by inducing autophagy and cell cycle arrest. Mol Med Rep 22:353-361 (2020). PubMed: 32319663