Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Purified protein, Tissue Lysate
Product nameBCA protein assay kit for low concentrations
See all BCA Protein kits
Sample typeCell Lysate, Purified protein, Tissue Lysate
Abcam’s BCA protein assay kit for low concentrations (ab207002) measures total protein concentration of pure proteins, extracts or lysates. It provides an ultra-sensitive method to detect and quantify total protein concentration. The kit has been optimized for determining total protein content in low protein concentration samples (0.5-40 μg/mL), even in the presence of detergents.
The assay is based on the reaction of bicinchoninic acid (BCA) with the cuprous cation (Cu1+), which is generated by reduction of cupric cation (Cu2+) by the protein in alkaline conditions. The Cu1+-BCA chelate is a water-soluble complex and exhibits a strong absorbance at 562 nm that is linear over a concentration range of 0.5-40 µg/mL. The kit includes Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA) as a reference protein standard.
Support on how to determine protein concentration can be found here.
Storage instructionsStore at room temperature. Please refer to protocols.
Components 2500 tests BCA Reagent A 1 x 190ml BCA Reagent B 1 x 190ml BCA Reagent C 1 x 9ml BSA 5 x 1ml
RelevanceThe BCA Protein assay (or Smith assay) is a biochemical assay for determining the total level of protein in a solution. The total protein concentration is determined by measuring the color change of the sample solution from green to purple which is proportional to the protein concentration.
- Bicinchoninic acid
- Bicinchoninic acid protein
ab207002 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Takov K et al. Small extracellular vesicles secreted from human amniotic fluid mesenchymal stromal cells possess cardioprotective and promigratory potential. Basic Res Cardiol 115:26 (2020). PubMed: 32146560
- Takov K et al. Comparison of small extracellular vesicles isolated from plasma by ultracentrifugation or size-exclusion chromatography: yield, purity and functional potential. J Extracell Vesicles 8:1560809 (2019). PubMed: 30651940
- Qin QJ et al. Rhynchophylline ameliorates myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury through the modulation of mitochondrial mechanisms to mediate myocardial apoptosis. Mol Med Rep 19:2581-2590 (2019). PubMed: 30720139
- Austin Suthanthiraraj PP & Sen AK Localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) biosensor based on thermally annealed silver nanostructures with on-chip blood-plasma separation for the detection of dengue non-structural protein NS1 antigen. Biosens Bioelectron 132:38-46 (2019). PubMed: 30851494
- Yuan X et al. Aldosterone promotes renal interstitial fibrosis via the AIF-1/AKT/mTOR signaling pathway. Mol Med Rep 20:4033-4044 (2019). PubMed: 31545432
- Salah MM et al. Pirfenidone alleviates concanavalin A-induced liver fibrosis in mice. Life Sci 239:116982 (2019). PubMed: 31639402
- Li Y et al. Upregulation of allograft inflammatory factor-1 expression and secretion by macrophages stimulated with aldosterone promotes renal fibroblasts to a profibrotic phenotype. Int J Mol Med 42:861-872 (2018). PubMed: 29749461
- Takov K et al. Confounding factors in vesicle uptake studies using fluorescent lipophilic membrane dyes. J Extracell Vesicles 6:1388731 (2017). PubMed: 29184625