Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Purified protein, Tissue Lysate
Product nameBCA protein assay kit for low concentrations
See all BCA Protein kits
Sample typeCell Lysate, Purified protein, Tissue Lysate
Abcam’s BCA protein assay kit for low concentrations (ab207002) measures total protein concentration of pure proteins, extracts or lysates. It provides an ultra-sensitive method to detect and quantify total protein concentration. The kit has been optimized for determining total protein content in low protein concentration samples (0.5-40 μg/mL), even in the presence of detergents.
The assay is based on the reaction of bicinchoninic acid (BCA) with the cuprous cation (Cu1+), which is generated by reduction of cupric cation (Cu2+) by the protein in alkaline conditions. The Cu1+-BCA chelate is a water-soluble complex and exhibits a strong absorbance at 562 nm that is linear over a concentration range of 0.5-40 µg/mL. The kit includes Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA) as a reference protein standard.
Support on how to determine protein concentration can be found here.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K814 Extra Sense™ BCA Protein Assay Kit. K814-2500 is the same size as the 2500 test size of ab207002.
Storage instructionsStore at room temperature. Please refer to protocols.
Components 2500 tests BCA Reagent A 1 x 190ml BCA Reagent B 1 x 190ml BCA Reagent C 1 x 9ml BSA 5 x 1ml
RelevanceThe BCA Protein assay (or Smith assay) is a biochemical assay for determining the total level of protein in a solution. The total protein concentration is determined by measuring the color change of the sample solution from green to purple which is proportional to the protein concentration.
- Bicinchoninic acid
- Bicinchoninic acid protein
ab207002 has been referenced in 11 publications.
- Gericke A et al. Sulodexide reduces glucose induced senescence in human retinal endothelial cells. Sci Rep 11:11532 (2021). PubMed: 34075143
- Takov K et al. Small extracellular vesicles secreted from human amniotic fluid mesenchymal stromal cells possess cardioprotective and promigratory potential. Basic Res Cardiol 115:26 (2020). PubMed: 32146560
- Wójtowicz J et al. Compensation Mechanism of the Photosynthetic Apparatus in Arabidopsis thaliana ch1 Mutants. Int J Mol Sci 22:N/A (2020). PubMed: 33379339
- Busche M et al. HepaChip-MP - a twenty-four chamber microplate for a continuously perfused liver coculture model. Lab Chip 20:2911-2926 (2020). PubMed: 32662810
- Takov K et al. Comparison of small extracellular vesicles isolated from plasma by ultracentrifugation or size-exclusion chromatography: yield, purity and functional potential. J Extracell Vesicles 8:1560809 (2019). PubMed: 30651940