Key features and details
- Assay type: Direct
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product namebeta Galactosidase Staining Kit
See all beta galactosidase kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
The LacZ gene from E. coli is one of the most commonly used reporter genes for testing the efficiency of expression vector mediated gene transfer and for studying the regulation of promoters of genes. The LacZ gene encodes the enzyme ß-galactosidase, which is very stable, resistant to proteolytic degradation, can utilize a variety of substrates and can be easily assayed in situ.
Abcam's beta Galactosidase Detection Kit (ab102534) utilizes X-gal as the substrate for ß-galactosidase.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K802 Beta-Galactosidase Staining Kit. K802-250 is the same size as the 250 test size of ab102534.
This kit has been optimized for transfected cells. If you want to detect senescence, we recommend using Senescence Detection Kit (ab65351).
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 250 tests Fixative Solution (1X) NM 1 x 125ml Staining Solution (1X) WM 1 x 125ml Staining Supplement (100X) Red 1 x 1.5ml X-Gal Green 1 x 150mg
RelevanceBeta galactosidase is a hydrolase enzyme that cleaves beta-linked terminal galactosyl residues from gangliosides, glycoproteins, and glycosaminoglycans. Beta galactosidase is an essential enzyme in the human body. Deficiencies in the protein can result in galactosialidosis or Morquio B syndrome. Senescent cells display senescence-associated expression of beta galactosidase activity.
Cellular localizationIsoform 1: Lysosome. Isoform 2: Cytoplasm, perinuclear region. Note=Localized to the perinuclear area of the cytoplasm but not to lysosomes.
- Acid beta galactosidase
- Beta galactosidase 1
Gamma-radiation induced senescence in hFOB cells. The number of senescence-associated-β-galactosidase positive cells (left panel) cleary increases 72h after 8 Gy γ irradiation. Representative data was from one of a total of 3 indepent experiments. Image obtained from Li XH et al; PLOS One; 2012;7(5):e36604
ab102534 has been referenced in 7 publications.
- Costantini M et al. Biofabricating murine and human myo-substitutes for rapid volumetric muscle loss restoration. EMBO Mol Med 13:e12778 (2021). PubMed: 33587336
- Ramakrishnan RK et al. Enhanced mitophagy in bronchial fibroblasts from severe asthmatic patients. PLoS One 15:e0242695 (2020). PubMed: 33253229
- Eakin AJ et al. Circulating Levels of Epirubicin Cause Endothelial Senescence While Compromising Metabolic Activity and Vascular Function. Front Cell Dev Biol 8:799 (2020). PubMed: 32974345
- Saheera S et al. Protective effect of antioxidant Tempol on cardiac stem cells in chronic pressure overload hypertrophy. Life Sci 222:88-93 (2019). PubMed: 30822425
- Son HN et al. Morphological changes during replicative senescence in bovine ovarian granulosa cells. Cell Cycle 18:1490-1497 (2019). PubMed: 31131697
- Buonanno M et al. Biological effects in normal cells exposed to FLASH dose rate protons. Radiother Oncol N/A:N/A (2019). PubMed: 30850209
- Li XH et al. REDD1 Protects Osteoblast Cells from Gamma Radiation-Induced Premature Senescence. PLoS One 7:e36604 (2012). Human . PubMed: 22629318