Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 40 min
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.01 mM
Product namebeta Hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Beta Hydroxybutyrate kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Sensitivity> 0.01 mM
Range0.01 mM - 0.2 mM
Assay time0h 40m
beta Hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab83390) utilizes beta HB Dehydrogenase to generate a product which reacts with a colorimetric probe with an absorbance band at 450 nm.
The kit is an easy and accurate assay to measure beta HB levels in biological samples. The assay is linear for 1-20 nmol beta HB in up to 100 µL samples or 0.01-0.2 mM of beta HB samples.
beta Hydroxybutyrate assay protocol summary:
- add reaction mix to sample and standard wells
- incubate for 30 min
- analyze with microplate reader
During diabetic ketoacidosis the liver produces ketone bodies (acetoacetate, acetone, and primarily beta-hydroxybutyrate) from the acetyl CoA produced from fatty acid oxidation. The very high rate of ketone body production outstrips the body's ability to utilize them as an energy source and the blood concentration builds up. As rather strong acids, they result in a significant drop in blood pH.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests beta HB Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml beta HB Enzyme Mix (lyophilised) Green 1 vial beta HB Standard (1.0 µmol) (lyophilised) Yellow 1 vial beta HB Substrate mix (lyophilised) Red 1 vial
- 3 hydroxybutyric acid
- beta HB
- beta Hydroxybutyric acid
The plasma levels of total BHB was detected using ab83390. Five rats were in each group. Samples were collected from tail vein blood and were transferred into EDTA-containing tubes. After centrifugation at 1500×g for 15 min at room temperature, the plasma was transferred into a new tube and stored at -80°C until use. Values are presented as the mean ± S.E. (**p<0.01).
Human serum samples were filtered using a 10 kda MW cut-off spin filter (ab93349) spun at 14,000 RPM for 30 minutes. Beta Hydrobutyrate (BHB) was detected on a 96-well plate using ab83390.
Young control group (6 men, 25±1 years old).
Age-matched control group (13 men, 69±7 years old)
PD = Individuals diagnosed with idiopathic PD (15 men, 71±8 years old, duration of disease = 10±6 years, H&Y = 2.3±0.7, median = 2).
A trend approaching significance in increased levels of BHB in the plasma of PD patients compared to age-matched controls was observed. BHB is known to fluctuate in a variety of conditions including starvation, diabetes mellitus and other co-morbidities.
Beta hydroxybutyrate in mouse tissue lysates showing quantity (nmol) per mg protein of tested sample
Beta hydroxybutyrate measured in biological fluids showing quantity (nmol) per microliter of tested sample
beta HB Standard Curve: Assays were performed following ab83390 kit protocol.
ab83390 has been referenced in 24 publications.
- Perrotta P et al. Partial Inhibition of Glycolysis Reduces Atherogenesis Independent of Intraplaque Neovascularization in Mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 40:1168-1181 (2020). PubMed: 32188275
- Saponaro C et al. The GLP1R Agonist Liraglutide Reduces Hyperglucagonemia Induced by the SGLT2 Inhibitor Dapagliflozin via Somatostatin Release. Cell Rep 28:1447-1454.e4 (2019). PubMed: 31390560
- Saasa V et al. Blood Ketone Bodies and Breath Acetone Analysis and Their Correlations in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Diagnostics (Basel) 9:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31861135
- Leung YB et al. Metabolic and Immunological Effects of Intermittent Fasting on a Ketogenic Diet Containing Medium-Chain Triglycerides in Healthy Dogs. Front Vet Sci 6:480 (2019). PubMed: 31998762
- Liu SJ et al. FTO is a transcriptional repressor to auto-regulate its own gene and potentially associated with homeostasis of body weight. J Mol Cell Biol N/A:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29771336