Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Lysate, Urine
Product nameBeta Secretase Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
See all Beta secretase kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time1h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Beta Secretase Activity Assay Kit (ab65357) uses a convenient fluorescence method for detecting beta secretase activity in biological and purified samples.
The beta secretase assay protocol uses a secretase-specific peptide conjugated to two reporter molecules, EDANS and DABCYL. In the uncleaved form, the fluorescent signal from EDANS is quenched by the physical proximity of the DABCYL moiety. Cleavage of the peptide by beta secretase physically separates EDANS and DABCYL allowing for the release of a fluorescent signal. The level of secretase enzymatic activity in samples is proportional to the level of fluorescence intensity.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K360 Beta-Secretase Activity Fluorometric Assay Kit. K360-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab65357.
β-Secretase (Beta secretase) is responsible for the proteolytic process of the amyloid precursor protein (APP). It cleaves APP at the N-terminus of the A-beta peptide sequence, between residues 671 – 672, leading to the generation and extracellular release of beta-cleaved soluble APP, and a corresponding cell-associated C-terminal fragment which is later released by gamma-secretase. It has been implicated to be an excellent target for anti-amyloid therapy for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
The standard is affinity purified.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -80°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests β -Secretase Extraction Buffer NM 1 x 25ml β -Secretase Inhibitor (in DMSO) Blue 1 x 10µl β -Secretase Reaction Buffer (2X) WM 1 x 10ml Active β -Secretase Red 1 x 20µl β -Secretase Substrate (in DMSO) Amber NM 1 x 200µl
RelevanceBeta secretase is a protease responsible for the proteolytic processing of the amyloid precursor protein (APP). Amyloid beta peptide is the major constituent of amyloid plaques in the brains of individuals afflicted with Alzheimers disease. This peptide is generated from the beta-amyloid precursor protein (beta APP) in a two-step process. The first step involves cleavage of the extracellular, amino-terminal domain of beta APP. Protein cleavage is performed by an aspartyl protease termed beta-secretase (BACE), of which there are two isoforms, BACE1 and 2. Beta APP cleavage by beta-secretase results in the cellular secretion of a segment of beta APP and a membrane-bound remnant. This remnant is then processed by another protease termed gamma-secretase. Gamma-secretase cleaves an intra-membrane site in the carboxyl-terminal domain of beta APP, thus generating the amyloid beta peptide.
Cellular localizationMembrane; Single-pass type I membrane protein.
- APP beta secretase
- ASP 2
Beta Secretase Activity measured in biological fluids. Tested neat.
Beta Secretase Activity measured in tissue lysates (each with protein concentration of 4 mg/mL)
Beta Secretase Activity measured in cell lysates (each with concentration of 2e7 cells/mL).
Beta-Secretase Cleavage Activity assayed using ab65357.
ab65357 has been referenced in 21 publications.
- Sil S et al. HIV-1 Tat-mediated astrocytic amyloidosis involves the HIF-1a/lncRNA BACE1-AS axis. PLoS Biol 18:e3000660 (2020). PubMed: 32453744
- Michelon C et al. The Role of Secretase Pathway in Long-term Brain Inflammation and Cognitive Impairment in an Animal Model of Severe Sepsis. Mol Neurobiol 57:1159-1169 (2020). PubMed: 31701437
- Huang CN et al. Abelmoschus esculentus subfractions attenuate Aß and tau by regulating DPP-4 and insulin resistance signals. BMC Complement Med Ther 20:370 (2020). PubMed: 33267804
- Ham HJ et al. Bee venom phospholipase A2 ameliorates amyloidogenesis and neuroinflammation through inhibition of signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 pathway in Tg2576 mice. Transl Neurodegener 8:26 (2019). PubMed: 31592103
- Flores-León M et al. Palmitic Acid-Induced NAD+ Depletion is Associated with the Reduced Function of SIRT1 and Increased Expression of BACE1 in Hippocampal Neurons. Neurochem Res 44:1745-1754 (2019). PubMed: 31073968