Key features and details
- Thymidine analog for measuring cell proliferation
- CAS Number: 59-14-3
- Purity: > 98%
- Soluble in water to 50 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameBrdU (5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine), Thymidine analog
DescriptionThymidine analog for measuring cell proliferation
Unstained control slides from mice treated with BrdU (formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded intestine sections) are available as BrdU control slides ab129956.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 50 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
ab220075 staining BrdU in HeLa cells. Untreated and BrdU treated (ab142567, 10uM for 24 hours) cells were fixed with 100% methanol (5 min) and then subjected to acid hydrolysis using 2M HCL in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 30 minutes at room temperature to denature the DNA. They were then permeabilized with 0.1% Triton X-100 for 5 minutes and then blocked with 1% BSA/10% normal goat serum/0.3M glycine in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 1h. The cells were then incubated overnight at +4°C with ab220075 at 1/100 dilution (shown in red) and ab195887, Mouse monoclonal to alpha Tubulin (Alexa Fluor® 488), at 1/250 dilution (shown in green). Nuclear DNA was labelled with DAPI (shown in blue).
Image was taken with a confocal microscope (Leica-Microsystems, TCS SP8).
This product also gave a positive signal under the same testing conditions in HeLa cells fixed with 4% formaldehyde (10 min).
2D chemical structure image of ab142567, BrdU (5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine), Thymidine analog
Estimation of S-phase Duration using EdU-BrdU Dual Pulse Labelling.
(From Figure 5A of Massey)
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab142567 has been referenced in 48 publications.
- Aass KR et al. Intracellular IL-32 regulates mitochondrial metabolism, proliferation, and differentiation of malignant plasma cells. iScience 25:103605 (2022). PubMed: 35005550
- Jiang X et al. Identification and Validation Prognostic Impact of MiRNA-30a-5p in Lung Adenocarcinoma. Front Oncol 12:831997 (2022). PubMed: 35127546
- Mir BA et al. MicroRNA-100 Reduced Fetal Bovine Muscle Satellite Cell Myogenesis and Augmented Intramuscular Lipid Deposition by Modulating IGF1R. Cells 11:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35159261
- Lasagni Vitar R et al. Substance P/neurokinin-1 receptor pathway blockade ameliorates limbal stem cell deficiency by modulating mTOR pathway and preventing cell senescence. Stem Cell Reports 17:849-863 (2022). PubMed: 35334220
- da Silva RAG et al. Enterococcus faecalis alters endo-lysosomal trafficking to replicate and persist within mammalian cells. PLoS Pathog 18:e1010434 (2022). PubMed: 35390107