Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 10 cells/well
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
- Detection method: Luminescent
- Assay type: Sandwich (qualitative)
Product nameBrdU Cell Proliferation ELISA Kit (chemiluminescent)
See all BrdU kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay typeSandwich (qualitative)
Sensitivity< 10 cells/well
Assay time2h 00m
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
ab126572 involves incorporation of BrdU into cells cultured in microtiter plates using the cell layer as the solid phase. During the final 2 to 24 hours of culture BrdU is added to wells of the microtiter plate. BrdU will be incorporated into the DNA of dividing cells. To enable antibody binding to the incorporated BrdU cells must be fixed, permeabilized and the DNA denatured. This is all done in one step by treatment with Fixing Solution. Detector anti-BrdU monoclonal antibody is pipetted into the wells and allowed to incubate for one hour, during which time it binds to any incorporated BrdU. Unbound antibody is washed away and horseradish peroxidase-conjugated goat anti-mouse antibody is added, which binds to the Detector Antibody.
The horseradish peroxidase catalyzes the oxidation of diacylhydrazides. The reaction product, in its excited state, decays yielding light in the process. This reaction has a large dynamic range spanning many logs of relative luminescence. The intensity of the luminescence is proportional to the amount of incorporated BrdU in the cells. The reaction is quantified using a luminometer and is plotted as relative light units per second (RLU/s).
The resultant assay is sensitive, rapid, easy to perform and applicable to high sample throughput. In addition to evaluation of cell proliferation, information such as cell number, morphology and analysis of cellular antigens can be obtained from a single culture.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsPlease refer to protocols.
Components 200 tests 500X BrdU Reagent 1 x 15µl Conjugate Diluent 1 x 25ml Fixing Solution 2 x 20ml Peroxidase Goat anti-mouse IgG (2000X) 1 x 15µl Plate wash concentrate (50X) 1 x 90ml Prediluted anti-BrdU detecting antibody 1 x 20ml Reaction Buffer 1 x 24ml Substrate 1 x 800µl
ab126572 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Zhao WN et al. Activation of WNT and CREB signaling pathways in human neuronal cells in response to the Omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Mol Cell Neurosci 99:103386 (2019). PubMed: 31202891
- Maric T et al. Bioluminescent-based imaging and quantification of glucose uptake in vivo. Nat Methods 16:526-532 (2019). PubMed: 31086341
- Venetsanakos E et al. The Irreversible Covalent Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitor PRN1371 Exhibits Sustained Inhibition of FGFR after Drug Clearance. Mol Cancer Ther 16:2668-2676 (2017). PubMed: 28978721